• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ruger mini 30 jam-o-matic

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2nd time had this rifle out. This time, with 3 different mini 30 mags with woof ammo, weapon fires bolt travels backward. Bolt remains open. If bolt pushed forward weapon fires. Has been cleaned, and according to my typical cleaning/lubing procedure. Mags are from Ruger. Mini-30 born after 2014. Will changing out spring, and or gas block fix, or take to gunsmith?

Maxcarp

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I have been down the road a good ways with a Mini 30 and learned a lot in my journey before I sent the Mini 30 down the road.The first thing I learned is that they do not like steel cased ammo with hard primers.The hammer spring and the lack protrusion of the firing pin conspire to cause misfires with hard primers that all the Russian and Chinese ammo come with.Feed the gun with brass cased ammo with standard primers and they are very reliable.The only steel cased ammo that I found that was halfway reliable was Silver Bear that has a zinc coating on the case.But even with this ammo I would still get misfires now and then.After a lot of research I found a forum that catered to Mini 14 and Mini 30 fans.
https://www.perfectunion.com/forums/ruger-mini-14-and-mini-30.86/
From there I learned a couple of modifications to try to make my Mini run more reliably with steel cased ammo.First I had the trigger group sent off for a trigger job and the addition of a 10%+ hammer spring.I also installed a new recoil spring The cost for the springs was less than $20.With these 2 mods the rifle ran much better with the Silver Bear ammo,but I think I still got a couple of misfires with it during a session of firing 50 rounds or so.I wish I had kept notes instead of relying on my memory.The rifle was fun to shoot with brass cased ammo due to the trigger being smoothed up,but I lost interest in it since it was not as accurate as my Mini 14.

Maxcarp

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
In your case it seems like the recoil spring is not doing its job,or the operating rod or the bolt is hanging up during the firing cycle.It is possible that the rifle is under gassed,due to weak, underpowered ammo,a gas port that is too small,or is leaking.The gas port on a Mini 30 is typically .100 id from the factory.What I would do to diagnose this rifle,is after cleaning,inpecting and lubing it,is take it to the range and try firing it with some US made,brass cased ammo.In normal times that would be no big deal,to get a box of US made ammo in this caliber but now......:unsure:.It just so happens that I have several boxes of US made 7.62x39 ammo I am trying to sell here in the trading post.PM me if you like,and we can see about making a swap.

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I’ve had my mini 30 196 series for over 20 years. Never had a problem using factory mags. Maybe try using different ammo. I usually shoot steel cased and it runs fine.

Ruger has great customer service. Contact them, and send it back to the factory if needed. They will make it right.