• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Any interest in a 30 Round .308 lever action rifle..

I posted this on the Arizona gun site and thought I would post it here too. I know there are a few creative gunsmith types here in Nevada Shooters...

I have a Winchester Mod. 88 lever action rifle it has a box magazine that only holds 3 or 4 rounds... If I am not mistaken the Winchester model 100 uses the same magazine as an 88 too...

That's no fun.. At first I started thinking of maybe designing and machining one out of billet aluminum but, I decided to look in my magazine bin first..

So I started looking at other .308 magazines I have for other rifles and compared them to the stock Winchester mag. So far the Aics short action magazine and FAL magazines are very close to fitting the magazine well. Either will take some modifications either to the gun and or the magazines.

The AICS mag is a plastic single stack unit that would most likely take the least amount of work to fit. Is a single stack this is limited to 5 or 10 rounds and presents the bullet in the center rather than one side or the other. Stock Magazine is a double stack.

Win88 mag1.jpg

The FAL magazines are double stacked and you can get them in 10, 20 and 30 rounds. Since the stock magazine is a double stack feeding should not be a problem.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

The stock Model 88 magazine measurements are
front to rear length 2.988
width .9645
and the sides of it are very square and flat with no ribs.
win88mag2.jpg

would be fun on the range and have a lot of shooters stop buy and chew the fat. But the main question is why besides the usual answer because I can but do see cut and bruised knuckles on rapid fire from working the lever rather quickly. But people's choice me I prefer the box fed 12.7 or belt fed

would be fun on the range and have a lot of shooters stop buy and chew the fat. But the main question is why besides the usual answer because I can but do see cut and bruised knuckles on rapid fire from working the lever rather quickly. But people's choice me I prefer the box fed 12.7 or belt fed
There is plenty of room between the lever and magazine plus the lever would protect your hands from hitting the magazine too.

Why.. Just having fun and like I said thinking outside the box. Plus I doubt they will ban a lever gun. This is mostly a "fun gun" project I have other machine guns for when I really want to waste ammo...

Bumper

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
My knee jerk reaction is, there are inexpensive guns that'll do what you are trying to make that one do - and doubtless do it better. Plus, if for no other reason, an opportunity to add another gun to the collection. That said, I'd leave the gun as is and modify a magazine. Using a stock mag, if it's metal, you might fabricate an extension, TIG weld extension to the original and use a longer spring.

Mikeee54

Proud Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I think it is a really bad idea and you should sell the gun to me and buy something else. Of course since the gun has somewhat limited uses and isn't easily modified the the price would have to reflect that....😀

My knee jerk reaction is, there are inexpensive guns that'll do what you are trying to make that one do - and doubtless do it better. Plus, if for no other reason, an opportunity to add another gun to the collection. That said, I'd leave the gun as is and modify a magazine. Using a stock mag, if it's metal, you might fabricate an extension, TIG weld extension to the original and use a longer spring.
What inexpensive lever action gun has a 30 round magazine chambered in .308? I do plan on making a magazine modification not a gun mod if I can help it... The FAL magazine looks like the best choice so far and I have a stack of them so, I am going to cut one up and see how it works.

Bumper

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I only have one big bore lever gun, a Marlin (JM) 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70. It only holds 4+1, but that's quite enough. I shudder to think what my shoulder would feel going through a 30 round mag dump! I don't suppose there's anything in N. America that would need more that a round or two.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
It’s not so much about how many rounds a target needs, it’s more like how many targets do you have? 😉

More seriously though, In the gun controlled countries, even lever action guns are now hated. There have been fights down Australia way, attempting to ban those too. Iirc there’s a Turkish lever shotgun that had peoples shorts in a knot.

That said, I imaging that thing would kick pretty well. Almost picked up a 4570 lever back mid ‘00’s. Figured it would be awesome for pigs.

I only have one big bore lever gun, a Marlin (JM) 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70. It only holds 4+1, but that's quite enough. I shudder to think what my shoulder would feel going through a 30 round mag dump! I don't suppose there's anything in N. America that would need more that a round or two.

Getting close now... It does make you do a double take when you look at it.
I have the 20 round FAL magazine fitted in all the way, next step will be cutting slots for the mag release / retention then start fine tuning it... But , since I have kids and grand kids visiting soon I will most likely have to put it on hold for a few weeks...
Just to be sure this is not being made to do mag dumps it is being done to shoot longer with out reloading..

win 88 20 rds2.jpg