• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Yes or No about new transfer law?

Sold a handgun today, met with buyer at local gun store for transfer....... clerk asked if I had a cable lock for it, I said I didn't have one, he said new law stated that if they were going to hold gun until buyer's BGC went thru that it had to have a cable lock on it so they charged $5 for a lock. Is this correct?

I'm just asking to see if other FFLs does this or not. Maybe it is the law and other FFLs do put a lock on it while in their possession by using one of their locks as a courtesy and simply just keep it for the next customer. Just trying to get an idea of how "customer friendly" this place is, or they're one of those that will try to find ways to nickle and dime you.

Ronsmag

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I've done 3 PPT in the last 2 months and never heard of that, where was this want to make sure I don't go there

ehudakine

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
T it’s an Effin joke I think every gun shop hve no idea what’s the new law within a month I bought 2 handguns from 2 different individuals one wanted to do his transfer at eastside of town, the gun shop charge me $19 transfer fee no background because I got a ccw out the door. The second handgun I purchase from another individual 3weeks ago wanted to do the transfer at a gun shop in Henderson the gun shop charge me transfer fee, background check fee even though I have a current ccw & tax out the door $65 & I couldn’t take the gun home the same day I had to wait 2 days to get the handgun. It’s all F up T it’s a lot easier buying new or what the gun shop has on consignment.

satch001

Old Guy With Gun Fetish
T it’s an Effin joke I think every gun shop hve no idea what’s the new law within a month I bought 2 handguns from 2 different individuals one wanted to do his transfer at eastside of town, the gun shop charge me $19 transfer fee no background because I got a ccw out the door. The second handgun I purchase from another individual 3weeks ago wanted to do the transfer at a gun shop in Henderson the gun shop charge me transfer fee, background check fee even though I have a current ccw & tax out the door $65 & I couldn’t take the gun home the same day I had to wait 2 days to get the handgun. It’s all F up T it’s a lot easier buying new or what the gun shop has on consignment.
At the fist shop you were treated fairly. $19.00 for transfer was a good deal, and NO fee for a background check on a private sale because that's the law. Your CCW had no bearing on not being charged for the background check.

At the second shop you were treated poorly indeed ! Background check, as noted above, is no charge per the new law on private sales.
You didn't state the amount you were told was the transfer fee, but in this particular instance, it turned out to be $65.00.

As far as waiting for two days, I can only surmise it took those days for the background check to come back, not unusual these days it seems.

Personally, I believe that when shops serve you well , or poorly, that the name of said shops should be shared as well as the story itself so that others can benefit from the good shops and even better avoid the bad ones.

YMMV

satch

Last edited:
It was Freedom at Warm Springs & Durango.

$5 isn't a big deal, I'm asking just to see exactly what is the "law" :). Because on the same day, being on the "flip side", I purchased a handgun but did the transfer at a different FFL at the choosing of the seller (NFA....pretty cool guys there btw). It was $25 for the transfer fee, NO charge for BGC.

BTW, I "thought" that since they were going to run a BGC anyways, I could at the same time buy a stripped lower from the store and piggy-back the BGC for both items, but was told that I COULDN'T piggy-back the check since one was a private transaction and the other was from store.

Last edited:
Dumb question but why does a private party sale need to be done at a FFL if there is no national database of a guns serial number and who purchased it? Is it just to keep someone that can't buy legally because they are ex cons or don't pass any of the other requirements on the background check checklist from purchasing a gun? Gun show sellers don't seem to care about who they sell to and I know that there are a lot of private party gun sales between people who can't pass the background check. (Don't ask for specifics but I know it happens)

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
There is no requirement about a lock in the private party sale laws. Sounds like the gun shop just got creative in earning a few extra bucks while transferring a gun.

There is a federal law about every new gun being required to come with a lock, but I *believe* that’s a requirement placed on the manufacturer.

Sounds like the gun shop just got creative in earning a few extra bucks while transferring a gun.

There is a federal law about every new gun being required to come with a lock, but I *believe* that’s a requirement placed on the manufacturer.
It was Freedom at Warm Springs & Durango. He said
before I get mis-quote and it becomes a (poop)show..... I sad it was Freedom that charged for the lock, not the $65 fee