• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

SHotgun in car

Hey guys I read a law on gunstocarry saying that it’s alright to have a shotgun in your trunk as long as there isn’t one in the chamber, but having the tube loaded is alright, spoke to a coworker who told me that a federal law was passed where you can’t carry any ammo anywhere in the shotgun if it’s in the car, do you guys know which is the accurate scenario ?

Pandanin

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Nevada Law
NRS 503.165 - Loaded rifle

Handguns
There is no law against carrying handguns in a vehicle. The handgun must be visible if on a person. Handguns in a glove box, on or under a seat are allowed. You will need a permit to conceal carry a handgun in a holster or pocket while in a vehicle.

Long Guns
There is however a law for carrying long guns and shotguns in vehicles. Whenever these firearms are carried in a vehicle they must be unloaded, this means there cannot be a cartridge in the chamber, but you can have a loaded magazine in the firearm. (emphasis added)

The coworker is probably referring to the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA. Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. (emphasis added).

IANAL - the legality of this advice is worth what it cost

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
The Federal law's stipulations, which also require a locked compartment, are only when you are in a jurisdiction where its protections would be needed. It is unneeded in Nevada, and most free states.

Long guns in vehicles in Nevada may have loaded magazines, but empty chambers. Handguns may be fully loaded.

Thanks for clearing that up guys, I thought that you could have one in the trunk as long as the chamber wasn’t loaded, I think Pandanin was right about my co-worker referring to the FOPA act

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
You can have the shotgun in your lap so far as the NRS is concerned, just not chambered.

Anything Federally would likely pertain to transporting, especially through states where the weapon might be illegal but your destination allows the weapon. Locked and unloaded would apply when utilizing those Federal transport protections.