• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Shield Question

Have a friend that just bought a new Shield 2.0. He's a little older than me & has a hell of a time moving the slide just to clean it. He's also left handed(whoever sold him this should be fired)so controls are awkward to say the least. I tried to help him but he just doesn't have the strength to get the slide locked. I already spoke to him about a revolver so please don't go there. Any way to get a lighter spring & still function?
Thanks
BW

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
Nope, if you run a weaker spring the pistol will become unreliable. It's an unfortunate aspect of their design, they need the stiff spring. My advice would be to get another pistol. There are a number of concealable pistols available that don't require as much force to operate the slide.

My reference point is knowing a couple of people who have shot their Shields extensively, enough to weaken the recoil spring noticeably as compared to a new one. And their pistols both become unreliable after some time, then perfect once again once they replaced the recoil spring.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
The smaller the gun for a given power of cartridge, the harder the spring, and the more critical things need to be in tolerances for reliable operation. He was unfortunately led to a poor choice for him.

If he needs a gun that size, a 380 is probably a much better choice, but pay attention to get a model that is locked-breech, recoil-operated, not just a simple blowback design. Both designs are popular at the 380 power level.

If one can pull a DA trigger, then a revolver, as you know, means no slide at all. Yeah, it's that important that I'm going to go there even though you said not to.

As a general rule semiautomatics are only for those who can use them RELIABLY and can afford the extra time to train with them. They should not be the default.

Last edited:

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
Have a friend that just bought a new Shield 2.0. He's a little older than me & has a hell of a time moving the slide just to clean it. He's also left handed(whoever sold him this should be fired)so controls are awkward to say the least. I tried to help him but he just doesn't have the strength to get the slide locked. I already spoke to him about a revolver so please don't go there. Any way to get a lighter spring & still function?
Thanks
BW
This might be worth a look if he likes the Shield otherwise: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-ez-no-thumb-safety

The smaller the gun for a given power of cartridge, the harder the spring, and the more critical things need to be in tolerances for reliable operation. He was unfortunately led to a poor choice for him.

If he needs a gun that size, a 380 is probably a much better choice, but pay attention to get a model that is locked-breech, recoil-operated, just just a simple blowback design. Both designs are popular at the 380 power level.

If one can pull a DA trigger, then a revolver, as you know, means no slide at all. Yeah, it's that important that I'm going to go there even though you said not to.

As a general rule semiautomatics are only for those who can use them RELIABLY and can afford the extra time to train with them. They should not be the default.
LOL That's OK MAC. I won't hold it against you. BW