• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Removal/Disabling "Rack" detent on Remington 870 ?

I've got an 870 that is ex-NG Armory. You can rack a shell into it by pumping action- it does not have a detent on the lhs of the receiver.

My father picked up an 870 and it takes Magnum shells, has an adjustable choke barrel, and a rifled slug barrel.

It has the detent on the left hand side that must be held in to rack a shell in.

This is problematic as dad was born with a birth defect in his left arm and hand. As he's gotten older this has prevented him from using his pump shotguns repeatedly.

Is there a way to "delete" the detent that is required to be pushed in to actuate the pump mechanism ?

Resident paranoid gun nut apparently.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
If your Ex-NG Armory 870 does not have the action bar latch in the trigger guard, and there is no slot for it (like there would be if the latch had been removed) then I strongly suspect that you have an 870 that someone has installed the trigger plate out of a Remington 11-48, they will fit and work, as will some from the 878 and the Model 58, HOWEVER, they render the 870 UNSAFE.

I have owned and been working on 870's since the 50's, was a Remington Authorized Service Gunsmith for decades, and ALL 870s that I have ever seen or worked on have the action bar locks. AT least those that no one had "Modified" have them.

That part , the action latch / release, is definitely required for proper / safe functioning of the 870

The reason an 870 cannot fire out of battery is due to how the firing pin and locking block interact; but the action bar lock does ensure you don't pull the action open accidentally.

Furthermore, it's what actuates the trigger disconnect, thus preventing both slam fires and firing out of battery .
The action bar lock is required for safe and reliable operation, defeating it could lead to tragedy, and a law suit.
Also, the action bar lock and hammer both rotate about the same pin, so if the action bar lock is missing, other parts may be missing as well.
I would recommend that you take that Ex NG 870 to a 870 knowledgeable gunsmith and have it looked at.

I don't have an 11-48 handy at the moment, loaned mine to my brother, but a quick search of the internet turned up photos of an 870 Trigger Plate Assembly above one from an 11-48, so you can see the difference.
View from left side, 870 on top, you can see the action latch tab.

1606369741138.png

Here's the right side, 870 again on top

1606369855981.png

As for your Dad's issue, if the trigger has been pulled, and the hammer falls, there is no need to activate the latch tab to be able to open the action to chamber a round.
If one wanted to use it for a home defense gun, and have a full magazine but an empty chamber , you could load a full sized snap cap into the chamber, close the action, pull the trigger.
Then load the magazine and store the gun (preferably muzzle DOWN just to be on the safe side!), then to load the gun, all you would have to do is rack the action, the snap cap would be ejected, the hammer would be cocked, and then closing the action and a live round would be in the chamber.

Removing the live round could be a problem though without being able to activate that latch tab.

But a safer way would be to have a competent gunsmith build up the latch so that it can be easily manipulated, I have done these in the past (Sorry, my shop is closed and I am retired) it's not tough to do, or , have a gunsmith install a
Tanks Wide Action Release on it. Requires a bit of modification to the TPA but not tough to do.

Tank’s Wide Action Release | Tanks Rifle Shop LLC

But I would strongly recommend that a good 870 Smith take a look at that NG 870, based on your description the gun is currently NOT SAFE to operate in my opinion.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Thanks for the update. I'll go take a look for it.
Hopefully in the original post wherever and whenever it was,on what whatever forum it was on, someone pointed out the danger of disabling the action lock.
No telling how many placed that jerk posted his scam crap.
Too bad there's no way to remotely melt his pc.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Looks like he also posted it on the Highpointfirearms.com forum (john39 | Hi-Point Firearms Forum - The Community for Hi-Point Owners (hipointfirearmsforums.com) where he has been banned) as well as the M14 Forum, and on Kentucky Hunting john39 | Kentucky Hunting , Carolina shooting club where they already banned him,
john39 | Carolina Shooters Club
https://www.carolinashootersclub.com/members/john39.62097
john39 is a member of Carolina Shooters Club. Registered Member, Male, from Washington DC

john39 | Long Range Only ,

Not sure if this is him also or not:john39 - Musician in Leominster MA - BandMix.com , and the Tesla Motor Club John39 | Tesla Motors Club

Dang, this clown or corporation is all over the net, too bad we can't melt him and his / their computer remotely!

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
What could possibly be the reason for doing this?..weird

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Phishing expedition to get into your PC and get your address book and passwords, etc. if you use the e-mail addresses he provided, identity theft, general SPAMMING and SCAMMING.