New shotgun

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Trying to decide on a new shotgun.
Shorter 20" or less barrel
Leaning towards a "trench" gun style as they're heavier and it'll help with the recoil for my old arse.
Have also seen some lightweight gonna I like, but I know they're gonna kick like a mule

Cirdan

Very Active Member
Harrington & Richardson Pardner Pump.

It's a Remingtoo 870 clone manufactured in China. Fairly heavy.

Still kicks like a mule. I put a limbsaver on mine (18.5" barrel)

What you gonna use your shotgun for???
I got a Benelli M2 when I couldn't find an FN SLP anywhere in town. :(
First time I took it out, thought it more fun then my AR! :)
Got home and my shoulder was so sore. :(

Last edited:

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
A 12 gauge, or a 10 gauge, or any other one for that matter, does NOT HAVE to kick like a mule.

Between the proper mounting of the gun to your shoulder, a good quality recoil pad, having the gun fitted to YOU, and lastly, if still needed, adding a recoil reducer in the stock, they can be set up to fire hundreds of heavy loads a day without bruising and discomfort.

Ask Bullet Eater.

He couldn't stand to fire more than 5 rounds of 1-1/8 ounce #8 shot , 1200 FPS loads at skeet in a day, taught him how to mount the gun properly, get the length of pull, drop at comb, heel and toe right, and SHAZAAAAAM , he now likes to shoot 100 rounds or more of skeet or trap in a day, and doesn't suffer for it.

A really light .410 that doesn't fit right , loaded with a mild 1/2 ounce of shot at 1100 feet per second, can kick the crap out of your shoulder and face, but there is no need to suffer.

Call ol Doc Nyeco for the remedy today!

Paid for by the shooters committee to eliminate the myth that a shotgun has to hurt on both ends.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
A 12 gauge, or a 10 gauge, or any other one for that matter, does NOT HAVE to kick like a mule.

Between the proper mounting of the gun to your shoulder, a good quality recoil pad, having the gun fitted to YOU, and lastly, if still needed, adding a recoil reducer in the stock, they can be set up to fire hundreds of heavy loads a day without bruising and discomfort.
This I know, my Beretta clays gun I can shoot all day long without a issue.

I'll find something that I like soon

Looking for something along the lines of a Winchester model 12

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Personally, I would look for a semi with a shorty slug barrel. Iirc, they run from 18.5-21 inch smooth bore slug barrel.

Maybe even a youth model if you’re looking for short. You could also try 20g to help if you’re recoils adverse.

I would stick with 12g. I haven’t shopped in this class for a while but being a remmy guy I lean that way. That said, several of the more modern guns like the 3 b’s don’t require the push of a separate button like the 1187. To feed the tube. The 2 newer remmys also don’t have a tube button for feeding, again iirc. v3/versa max.

Then B guns all make nice stuff, fairly light too, and the new remmys also avoid the feed tube button as well. The other semi gun variants (F, M, Turkish, etc) I think also don’t have a loading button as well, making the tube feed easier.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Have two semis, neither one will shoot "low" recoil ammo and cycle right.
Even my beloved Beretta A300 Outlander.
Kinda why I'm looking for a pump

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Maybe the Beretta Gen 2 1301 Tacticals........they are the hotness right now.
People like the Haughts, Fisher, and Langdon all like them.
Langdon and VangComp offer them with all the Aridus goodies already put on for you if you like.

tdyoung; I just noticed you had a Beretta A300, I picked a Beretta A302 Lusso when I was stationed in Italy and I got for a great deal. I got it 2 barrels and a gun case. I got 1981 when I was stationed in Italy and it still looks in mint condition.

iav8524

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter

Ask Bullet Eater.

He couldn't stand to fire more than 5 rounds of 1-1/8 ounce #8 shot , 1200 FPS loads at skeet in a day, taught him how to mount the gun properly, get the length of pull, drop at comb, heel and toe right, and SHAZAAAAAM , he now likes to shoot 100 rounds or more of skeet or trap in a day, and doesn't suffer for it.

A really light .410 that doesn't fit right , loaded with a mild 1/2 ounce of shot at 1100 feet per second, can kick the crap out of your shoulder and face, but there is no need to suffer.

Call ol Doc Nyeco for the remedy today!

Paid for by the shooters committee to eliminate the myth that a shotgun has to hurt on both ends.
I might have to have you work with my 12 year old and his 20 Gauge..