• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New Marlins (Not JM's)

nevadachuck

Don't Give Up Your Guns
I'm thinking about adding to the herd. I'm a "JM" person to the core but willing to break rank if I can get some good feedback on the new Marlins (Remington). Anyone on the site have firsthand experience with the new Marlins? I'm looking at levers in big bore, 45-70, 444, maybe some revolver cartridges. Thanks!

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I bought one of the first [g]Remlins when I got my 1895GG Guide Gun. The rear sight broke off on the second shot. It took two weeks to get a replacement. I then sold it.

I've never had a problem with my JM's.

Last edited:
The complaints on the Marlin forum, and on other sites too, are legion. They may have gotten better since Dec '07, but I wouldn't bet my money on it. If forced to go with a "Remlin" (which fortunately I'm not), I'd give it a very careful inspection before leaving the gunstore.

terdog

uber Member
My REMLIN was so tight and rough that it would jam on every cycle.
I broke it down and spent a couple hrs removing burrs and polishing her up. She's fine now.

I need to put down the AR's for awhile and take her out for an afternoon. :love:

nevadachuck

Don't Give Up Your Guns
Mmmm.... thanks for the feedback, I think. Seriously, I appreciate the comments guys. I detect a Remlin purchase is still iffy. I've had a couple opportunities thrown at me on JM's, but pricey! Maybe I should just "bite the bullet" and go with the used JM's. I absolutely agree MAC702 that the JM's are "problem-less", as mine have been all these years. Thanks again!

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
If you've got the budget, get a Copilot from Wild West Guns. They start with the Marlin action, and turn it into a work of art, plus can ream the chamber for their magnum, but it still lets you shoot .45-70 also.

terdog

uber Member
IDK, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Guess it kinda depends on your budget. I didn't mind polishing mine, I learned alot about it and I enjoy puttin hands on my guns.

YMMV

Last edited:

DeanD

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Picked up a Remlin at the Cashman show about two years ago and the front sight fell off. Looked at some at Sportsman's Warehouse and could see daylight where the stock mated to the receiver...literally could see through it. Horrible quality. That said, understand the JM guns were made with old tooling and machinery and they had employees who had worked there for a career who did a lot of hand work and fitting. Remington just tried to produce rifles with barebones staffing and relied on the tooling to produce good parts which it would not of course. I think as time has gone on Remington has converted more to CNC and improved quality but I haven't looked at recent production. I personally would rather have a used JM New Haven gun than a new Remlin. I sold a couple of New Haven .45-70's and a .30-30 that were simply beautiful.

nschiff

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have an 1895CBA purchased last year, and everything has been perfect. Dunno if I just got lucky, but everything looks good, works perfectly, and I've had no issues. I've put less than 100 rds through it, but so far everything has remained tight and smooth, nothing fell off, etc.

terdog

uber Member
I truly believe that there was a "learning curve" for Remington. Too bad that they let out so many questionable examples before getting it right. A bad reputation is very costly and takes awhile to repair.

DeanD

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have always held Remington bolt actions in high regard. My old 700 BDL .30-06 with a Bushnell scope would put five rounds of about anything including old GI ammo into a group at 100 yards you could cover with a silver dollar. The Marlins have to be embarrassing to them if they have any pride at all. Hope they get their act together if they haven't already.

My son wants a big lever a 357 magnum. Henry or Remlin, that is the question? I have no experience with lever actions. I had a few Remlin tube & bolt guns that have been perfect. I am hesitant to commit to this one pick.

nevadachuck

Don't Give Up Your Guns
I hope Ruger continues on with the tradition (JM's) and puts some quality back in the fine design of the levers. I've looked at several of the Remilins and just couldn't bring myself to part with my money. Fingers crossed!