• Las Vegas Shooting Center - Customer Appreciation Day 10/19/2019! - CLICK HERE for details!

New Drama @ DSRPC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how all the Eboard members and their supportive cronies only pay $75 as seniors and they do not want anything to change.
Willing to bet they pay nothing. They used to offer “lifetime memberships” for $600.

What I find unfair is that the annual memberships have gone up considerably since that time. Would be more fair and equitable to have kept annual memberships at the same amount, and simply charge ALL members a usage fee of $50-100. Would be more fair as the $600 lifetime memberships are no longer offered to the membership. This keeps everyone with skin in the game.

BRPC charges EVERYONE the same. First time members pay $200, I think, then it is $75 per year to renew. At DSRPC, if you are a senior you pay $75 first time. THAT is unfair!

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
BRPC charges EVERYONE the same. First time members pay $200, I think, then it is $75 per year to renew. At DSRPC, if you are a senior you pay $75 first time. THAT is unfair!
Meh, lots of places give senior discounts. Most seniors live on a fixed income. Giving them a break so they can come to the range is good paying it forward from younger members. This doesn’t bother me at all, but YMMV.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
BRPC is $125 for first year, $75 renewals.

I do most of my personal shooting at BRPC anyway, but more of the vintage rifle matches and other matches I like, and more of my friends are at DSRPC, so it's still worth it for me to maintain both.

I've no issue with the huge senior discount. The real issue has ALWAYS been: WHAT IS THE MONEY BEING SPENT ON. That was back when we actually thought we had the money.

Marketingslime

Excessive Headspace
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Willing to bet they pay nothing. They used to offer “lifetime memberships” for $600.

What I find unfair is that the annual memberships have gone [CHAT=][/CHAT]up considerably since that time. Would be more fair and equitable to have kept annual memberships at the same amount, and simply charge ALL members a usage fee of $50-100. Would be more fair as the $600 lifetime memberships are no longer offered to the membership. This keeps everyone with skin in the game.
/
What I find unfair is that the annual memberships have gone up considerably since that time.
You lose Joe. I pay my dues every year and donate over $1K/YR in equipment. Sorry to let you down.

DSRPC has not raised dues for over 7 years.

You lose Joe. I pay my dues every year and donate over $1K/YR in equipment. Sorry to let you down.

DSRPC has not raised dues for over 7 years.

I already lost.

As did all of the club members.

When the inept club membership let over a quarter of a million dollars slip out of the range's account.

And the annual membership dues were $140 to $150 when I originally joined - more than 7 years ago.

Marketingslime

Excessive Headspace
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I already lost.

As did all of the club members.

When the inept club membership let over a quarter of a million dollars slip out of the range's account.

And the annual membership dues were $140 to $150 when I originally joined - more than 7 years ago.
Joe,

What I find perplexing is that little of the ire here is directed towards the thief. You guys are acting like Democrats.

Do you really believe that if the best friend of the thief had been elected Prez, that any of this would have come to light? If so, you and the other drum beaters here are sadly mistaken.

The Club’s CPA, who is also a CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner) was hoodwinked by the thief, yet you expect the other board members who are Just Average Joes like yourself to be able to read minds.

And while we’re at it, I’m getting tired of the disrespectful attitude toward Senior citizens here, many of whom carried your water in Korea, ‘Nam and Desert Storm without expecting more than being treated in a courteous manner. So much for that...

Last edited:
Joe,

What I find perplexing is that little of the ire here is directed towards the thief. You guys are acting like Democrat’s.

Do you really believe that if the best friend of the thief had been elected Prez, that any of this would have come to light? If so, you are sadly mistaken.

And while we’re at it, I’m getting tired of the disrespectful attitude toward Senior citizens here, many of whom hauled your water in Korea, ‘Nam and Desert Storm without expecting more than being treated in a courteous manner.

Ire (as you call it) towards the thief goes without saying.

But the leadership of an organization that is entrusted with HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS of dues, rightly DESERVES the "ire" of the membership when so much money is stolen in such a short time, before anybody noticed.

As has been suggested here, the RIGHT thing would be for the entire board to step down, and those who ran for those positions in the last election should be afforded the opportunity to take their places. When there is THIS big of a SNAFU, business as usual simply isn't the right thing to do.

And while you're at it, I said nothing disrespectful about senior citizens (please feel free to post stalk me and check for yourself), and your dramatic "many of whom hauled your water in Korea, 'Nam and Desert Storm" comment is nothing but misdirection to try to turn the heat off that YOU are feeling. My father hauled his own water in Vietnam, during his 21 year Army career, and I hauled my own during my decade of active duty service. Am I a hero? Nope. And neither are 99% of vets. So please stop with the melodramatic hyperbole.

Marketingslime

Excessive Headspace
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
:As has been suggested here, the RIGHT thing would be for the entire board to step down, and those who ran for those positions in the last election should be afforded the opportunity to take their places.

I don’t get it. What would be right about that? Classic lynch mob mentality.

>Ire (as you call it) towards the thief goes without saying.

You’re right about that. No one here says jack about it.

You think childish trolling here constitutes “heat” my friend? Hardly.

STS Hunter

Very Active Member
I myself would rather have a guy who has shown commitment and is determined to never let something like this happen again in a leadership role. If a whole new group of people were to step up and take over they probably wouldn't be aware of what the next con would be. Fresh blood is always nice, but it's not going to be me in this stage of my life. Maybe when I retire, but then I would be old also.

I myself would rather have a guy who has shown commitment and is determined to never let something like this happen again in a leadership role. If a whole new group of people were to step up and take over they probably wouldn't be aware of what the next con would be. Fresh blood is always nice, but it's not going to be me in this stage of my life. Maybe when I retire, but then I would be old also.
Maybe so.

But if you have been following the threads concerning this range for the last several months, you would be aware that there were several qualified and experienced people who ran to replace the entrenched leadership.

Nobody is suggesting standing on a street corner with a sandwich board to find the new board.

STS Hunter

Very Active Member
Maybe so.

But if you have been following the threads concerning this range for the last several months, you would be aware that there were several qualified and experienced people who ran to replace the entrenched leadership.

Nobody is suggesting standing on a street corner with a sandwich board to find the new board.
I was only aware of the two position in the recent election, and voted for the challengers. I was under the impression that for the past several terms the candidates were unopposed. If I'm mistaken, please fill me in.

Marketingslime

Excessive Headspace
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Jud
Maybe so.

But if you have been following the threads concerning this range for the last several months, you would’ve be aware that there were several qualified and experienced people who ran to replace the entrenched and leadership.
Yeah, the guy was who said he would trust the Treasurer with his life, and stated that finances would never be a problem under his stewardship. Excellent leadership and judgement skills there

I was only aware of the two position in the recent election, and voted for the challengers. I was under the impression that for the past several terms the candidates were unopposed. If I'm mistaken, please fill me in.
Nope you’re not mistaken. One of those positions being the top one.

The fish stinks from the head down is often true.

When something as bad as $300k being stolen happens on someone’s watch, especially with such a small staff/board, is it unreasonable to suggest the leadership step down ?

If the guy cooked the books and was the sole person with access, how can you blame everyone else? An out of state rep is stupid too, but a single person did this.

You get what you vote for.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
If the guy cooked the books and was the sole person with access, how can you blame everyone else? An out of state rep is stupid too, but a single person did this.

You get what you vote for.
This should have never been a thing. The board, IIRC, has since implemented controls so this cannot happen again. It would have been nice to have had those controls in the first place. So in that, you are correct, you get what you vote.

Just an Average Joe may not be everyone's cup of tea. I know I don't always agree with his posts and he comes across as mildly abrasive more often than not, but he is spot on in his observations and the direction of his ire. The current board had the wool pulled over their eyes. Is it so outrageous to think change might not be a bad idea?

One question; is this definitely a case of the thief in question having acted alone?

Marketingslime

Excessive Headspace
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
This should have never been a thing. The board, IIRC, has since implemented controls so this cannot happen again. It would have been nice to have had those controls in the first place. So in that, you are correct, you get what you vote.

Just an Average Joe may not be everyone's cup of tea. I know I don't always agree with his posts and he comes across as mildly abrasive more often than not, but he is spot on in his observations and the direction of his ire. The current board had the wool pulled over their eyes. Is it so outrageous to think change might not be a bad idea?

One question; is this definitely a case of the thief in question having acted alone?
No evidence at this point that anyone other than the main suspect was involved.

I respect the work that the current board and past boards have done for our club. I myself sit on a few boards and it is largly a thankless job. While most of the blame does lay at the feet of the thief, that is not to say that the current board is not without blame. We can all sit here and point fingers and say what should have been done and to be honest, we should all be doing that as that will help invoke positive and necessary change so that this never happens again. The simple fact is that the board went without very simple and very standard business practices that would 100% have either prevented all of this or at least caught it very very early on. Many proposed changes in protocol have been brought up to this board and many past boards and they have all been shot down. That is exactly the reason why we are here right now. This board, and all the past boards I have been witness to have all fought change at every turn. It is not about us not respecting the work they have done...we do. It is not about us not respecting thier place in society...we do. It is not about us wanting to take over the club and now run it like it's our own personal property...we don't. It is simply about the fact that sometimes people are no longer able to do a job due to various reasons. Be it age, lack of knowledge, energy, emotions, etc but when that time comes for us all it is time for us to pass the torch on to the next generation of leaders and let them do what our fathers and mothers before us had to do at one time as well.

At the most recent meeting many people were asking why all the other board members didn't have online access to the bank accounts. The answer that was given was that some of the board members didn't know how to access them via a computer. Now I 100% respect my elders. I was raised that way and I have been that way all my life. In addition, some would now consider me their elder but this is a very big and glaring reason as to why we need change. That is exactly the reason we are in this mess. The current board was extremly complacent with the status quo and had no interest in any new policies or SOP's because, and I will try to say this with the utmost respect for their past efforts, but it was due to the fact that they are in a bit over thier head and they no longer posess the skills to run our club in the year 2019. There is nothing wrong with admitting when you don't know something. The most successful business people are the ones who surround themselves with people who know what they don't and they listen to those people and use their knowledge to further the business. That is exactly what our club needs now and that is exactly what our board needs to do.

Due to the fact that our club still does largly everything via paper it is an arduous task to compile any sort of real data points. We need to establish some very simple upgrades to our SOP's that would enable us to gather very useful data points to help shape future decisions.

We need the following:

- A 3, 5 and 10 year plan for the club
- This plan should incorporate the requests of members and match directors to help drive progress and keep our club up to date with the things our sports and shooters need and want.
- A professional reserve study every 5 years
- Establish a reserve schedule from said reserve study that accounts for all planned and proposed futre capital improvements complete with a timeline and estimated spend
- Plan and schedule for future new memberships
- A community invlivement and outreach plan
- Due increase schedule to account for inflation and increased cost of good and labor

It's not a good thing that dues have not increased in the last 7 years. All that shows is the lack of planning on the board's part. Currently we have no clue what our future spend is projected to be because we have no plan and no reserve study. Since we have no plan we have no way of knowing if our previous reserves (prior to the theft) were even sufficient. We also have no idea if $200 per year is even the appropiate amount for a membership cost since we have no idea how much money we will even need in the future because again...we have no plan.

In regards to the missing funds, what no one seems to be getting is the fact that even if the DA decides to prosecute we will most likely never get the funds back. At the last meeting the board even said the perp lived with his mother. You can bet that this person doesn't have any assets to even sieze. Even if we are able to sieze cars or other like items, those would only get us back a fraction of the stolen money as they would have dropped in value since being purchased by the perp. Not to mention the fact that we would have to wait for a trial before we could ever even see those funds. It was also stated at the meeting that the clubs income fluctuates from month to month depending on membership renewals. It was also stated that we only cover our monthly expenses by a small margen on average each month. So if we have a few bad months in a row we might be short on cash. That is why we need a plan to restore the funds now. We have a club to run and we can not wait around on hopes and dreams that by some miracle all of our stolen money will be returned because it won't. The current lack of a plan to adress the financial situation now is just another example of the overall issues with our club.

I respect the fact that many members are on fixed incomes but that does not mean we should be making decisions for the entire club based on that fact alone. I watched an HOA have to claim bancruptcy becuase the majority of the board were on fixed incomes and they refused to raise the dues because they were voting about what was best for their personal financial situation and not what was best for the community as a whole. From what I see, it seems that we have a bit of that going on here. We are a social club with a set of bylaws that ALL need to respect. In that sense we are like a republic and we have a democratic process that needs to be followed otherwise it would just be chaos. With that being said, I do hope to see at least some of the current board do the right thing, the honorable thing and step down so that someone with a bit more knowledge can come in and help get things back on track. If they are not willing to step down then I hope they would at least recognize the fact that this is not their own personal club and be open to accepting some help from their fellow members. I know many of us would be more than willing to come in and help the board right our ship. It would not be about "I told you so!" or "look how much smarter we are than you." There would be none of that. It would simply be our club's brothers and sisters coming together to lend a helping hand to a fellow member who simply needed some help. Let's hope they are all mature enough to ask for the help they so obviousely need.

Amazing post, puravida!

The only thing I disagree with is your assessment that dues should be increased, or should have been. The fact that a surplus of over $300k was amassed, as the club ran and DID implement and build several upgrades over the last few years, is IMO proof that the current dues are more than adequate to run the club.

Quite frankly, we don't "need" running water or electricity. The club has been a nice place to shoot for over 60 years (I think) without those creature comforts.

It's not a good thing that dues have not increased in the last 7 years. All that shows is the lack of planning on the board's part. Currently we have no clue what our future spend is projected to be because we have no plan and no reserve study. Since we have no plan we have no way of knowing if our previous reserves (prior to the theft) were even sufficient. We also have no idea if $200 per year is even the appropiate amount for a membership cost since we have no idea how much money we will even need in the future because again...we have no plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.