• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New BS Jan 2 law

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
I haven’t done any private transactions since the new law went into effect. I am hearing different things from people and FFL’s.

If you are the buyer and have a ccw and pay the FFL for the background do you leave with the firearm at that time?

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
CCW or not, you must go through a back ground check and can't leave with the gun until after it says what you already know.
And now that the background check system is at reduced hours and staff and lines, it is much much harder to get into the system.
Dealers can get in right away or it can take over a week.......

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
Doesn’t matter if you have a CCW they still run a background check when doing a private party transfer. Last I heard it’s taking a couple days cause the system is bogged down.
Yeah I knew it doesn’t matter on ccw but wondered if you left that day. Because of the system backing up I figured a day or two.

Having done a few of these transactions, for the most part it is pretty straight forward, it sucks. Saying that...the biggest problem I dealt with is the buyer is not aware of the new law, they don't want to pay a fee, or they are aware but can not pass background for what ever reason. I had two people fail during the background check, not a worry on my end as I don't lose anything. But the law does as intended, to screw the LAW ABIDING GUN OWNER...The FFL does hold the firearm until the background is finished, whatever the outcome. Then the firearm is returned to you to complete the sale or not depending outcome.

Last edited:
Potentially how long can this horse(crap) take? Ive been waiting a week on a used pistol ive paid for. I already own a few piles of firearms, have an old stack of blue cards and im not a criminal.

Ronsmag

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Potentially how long can this horse(crap) take? Ive been waiting a week on a used pistol ive paid for. I already own a few piles of firearms, have an old stack of blue cards and im not a criminal.
Seems to depend on where you do the PPT

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
The law is working as intended: Costing time and money, creating delays and frustration. You think they actually wrote this to impact criminals? Look around, friend. Opposite day is everyday in Amerika now.