• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

MOA reticle use

Anyone have some good videos or articles on how to use an MOA reticle? Ive always had red dots, iron sights or BDC and my new scope has an MOA reticle and MOA adjustment turrets.

I know i can search Google and YouTube but figured someone here could point me to one that they have seen or used that was pretty helpful.

Thanks!

20200724_171741.jpg

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
What do you have against your neighbors? (JK)

Assuming you have a SFP reticle you first have to look up what maginification your reticle can be used for ranging. Usually it’s max. But it doesn’t have to be.

Next question is how many MOA between each hash Mark.

And you need to know the height of your target.

Once you know all of this you follow the following equation.

If you have a MOA based reticle, the application is the same; however, the formula looks slightly different:

Known target size in Inches X 95.5 / target size in MOA = Distance to target in yards

http://www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.com/uploads/3/4/9/7/34971413/bc_article_-_range_estimation.pdf

What do you have against your neighbors? (JK)

Assuming you have a SFP reticle you first have to look up what maginification your reticle can be used for ranging. Usually it’s max. But it doesn’t have to be.

Next question is how many MOA between each hash Mark.

And you need to know the height of your target.

Once you know all of this you follow the following equation.

If you have a MOA based reticle, the application is the same; however, the formula looks slightly different:

Known target size in Inches X 95.5 / target size in MOA = Distance to target in yards

http://www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.com/uploads/3/4/9/7/34971413/bc_article_-_range_estimation.pdf
Edit- funny joke about the neighbors. I actually haven't ever met them lol, I was just trying to see if the optic was daylight bright. Its close but washes to a slight maroon color, but also didnt cost me 1k+ for the optic. Haha

Thanks! Good information listed. Here's the set up on my reticle. Reticle accurate for ranging at max magnification, 2MOA between verticals hash marks, and ill be using a regular joe schmoe 100 yard range target to sight it in at. Except I feel like I should sight it in at 50yds because per the book and the BDC reticle 50/200yds should be the same?

But essentially every time I'm shooting, if I want to try different yardage shots I should always do the math? And that will tell me which MOA hash to line the scope up on?

20200724_210059.jpg

20200724_210046.jpg

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
So we’re talking about two different things.

Using the reticle to range a target means to find a target at an unknown range and calculate its range via your hash marks.

The next step is using your reticle to then adjust your point of aim to allow for the drop of your round.

If you’re using a factory known value ammo you can just plug those numbers into a ballistic calculator and run with them. To be more accurate pick your specific load and chrono them.

For example

1E617D9A-07EF-428F-A2B7-BB8070D5FB1E.jpeg

So with that given load, at that given elevation, at that given temperature, and at a 0 angle if your target was 400 yards away you’d need 6.17 MOA of elevation to hit the target. You can either dial up your elevation turret 6-6.25 MOA or hold above your target 6.25 MOA. (On your reticle basically 3 hash marks).

using the reticle to determine the range of the target isn’t super accurate, although you can get fairly good with practice. Most people either shoot at a known range, close enough the bullet drop doesn’t matter, or carry a laser rangefinder.

Deciding to either dial up your MOA or hold above with your reticle can depend on the size of the target, the range you’re trying to shooot at, how expediently you need to make the shot.

So we’re talking about two different things.

Using the reticle to range a target means to find a target at an unknown range and calculate its range via your hash marks.

The next step is using your reticle to then adjust your point of aim to allow for the drop of your round.

If you’re using a factory known value ammo you can just plug those numbers into a ballistic calculator and run with them. To be more accurate pick your specific load and chrono them.

For example

View attachment 66470

So with that given load, at that given elevation, at that given temperature, and at a 0 angle if your target was 400 yards away you’d need 6.17 MOA of elevation to hit the target. You can either dial up your elevation turret 6-6.25 MOA or hold above your target 6.25 MOA. (On your reticle basically 3 hash marks).

using the reticle to determine the range of the target isn’t super accurate, although you can get fairly good with practice. Most people either shoot at a known range, close enough the bullet drop doesn’t matter, or carry a laser rangefinder.

Deciding to either dial up your MOA or hold above with your reticle can depend on the size of the target, the range you’re trying to shooot at, how expediently you need to make the shot.
Ok this is making much more sense now. Ill probably be shooting known ranges, to make things easier starting out, but it would be nice to be able to change up the distances each time.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Ok this is making much more sense now. Ill probably be shooting known ranges, to make things easier starting out, but it would be nice to be able to change up the distances each time.
Well, for example, in Vegas desert sportsman’s has several ranges where you can set up multiple targets at multiple ranges and move from one to the other. There are also ranges at DSRPC that have steel targets set at multiple known ranges for you to practice on. I have not been to the Boulder City range but I understand there is a similar setup.

Or you can buy several targets and make the trek out to the desert and set up any course of fire you wish.

Well, for example, in Vegas desert sportsman’s has several ranges where you can set up multiple targets at multiple ranges and move from one to the other. There are also ranges at DSRPC that have steel targets set at multiple known ranges for you to practice on. I have not been to the Boulder City range but I understand there is a similar setup.

Or you can buy several targets and make the trek out to the desert and set up any course of fire you wish.
My buddies and I usually go out in the desert, its a trek but a nice little spot. Ive been looking into steel targets as well.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
My buddies and I usually go out in the desert, its a trek but a nice little spot. Ive been looking into steel targets as well.
I have several of the evil Roy target stands and several different target heads from action target. I’ve been very happy with their offerings but they’re not the least expensive options. However if you watch their close out page some good deals can be had.