• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Gun stores doing backgrounds even with a ccw?!

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Does it matter if it is shipped to the dealer or brought in???? I mean if person A is selling to person B and B has a CCW. CCW is good for mail in transfers so why not in person? Not saying anyone is or isn't playing by those rules or thoughts.
The CCW exemption is only valid for FFL’s transferring to a unlicensed person, and it’s a Fed law. You buy a gun from a FFL online, they ship to local FFL, you get to use a CCW to exempt from background check per Fed law.

If a seller is unlicensed, and a buyer is unlicensed (license here referring to FFL’s), then buyer must perform a background check with a FFL. That’s as basic as my limited understanding goes. I disagree with the law, but that’s my layman’s read of it.

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
The CCW exemption is only valid for FFL’s transferring to a unlicensed person, and it’s a Fed law. You buy a gun from a FFL online, they ship to local FFL, you get to use a CCW to exempt from background check per Fed law.

If a seller is unlicensed, and a buyer is unlicensed (license here referring to FFL’s), then buyer must perform a background check with a FFL. That’s as basic as my limited understanding goes. I disagree with the law, but that’s my layman’s read of it.
What
What makes you think they sold the gun private party? Why didn't they sell it to the store and then the second buy it from the store?

flyer338

NRA Patriot Life Member Benefactor
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I have used Fallout Firearms in North Las Vegas for my my FFL transfers since moving here last year. This is how they have explained their fee and background check process to me. They charge $25 for FFL transfers. If the transfer is from an out of state private party, there is no additional fee or wait for a CCW holder. If the transfer is from an out of state FFL, there is a fee, but for a NV CCW, no wait. If the seller is in-state, but shipped the firearm, there is both a fee and a wait.
They only collect sales tax on transfers where the sending FFL is also the seller. And they accept shipments from out of state private parties.
They are my goto here in Las Vegas.
Of course, my preference is for sales of C&R firearms from out-of-state sellers.

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
Right now if you go in to buy a gun and need a background check, you can get the results in 15 minutes or two weeks. Just depends on how long it takes the shop to get in. "We" haven't gotten in since before the election....

The law is poorly written, doesn’t address all the issues with PPT and in my opinion is in direct conflict with federal law. PPT to me is buyer and seller walking in to do a transfer where shipping by the seller isn’t required. If shipping is required by the seller from within NV or from another state and my FFL was used to receive it, it‘s now inventory and is in inventory in my book until the buyer comes in to do the paperwork. When that buyer comes in and has a CCW then no background is needed. I see this no differently as if the buyer ordered the gun from another dealer and used me and my FFL as the receiving and transferring dealer.

The law says PPT both the seller and buyer must be together with the firearm. That’s impossible for someone in KY selling to someone in NV and the law make no reference for that type scenario. NV intent was to stop transfers without a dealer being involved in some way and wrote a law thinking all PPT are done between friends in the same neighborhood not taking in consideration of out of state or across state sales where shipping is involved.

I build custom rifles and do very few transfers. Haven't done a background since this virus BS started. Only transfers I’ve done are with CCW.

Last edited:
I was going to buy a Springfield Armory Hellcat from The Range 702. They wanted $630 for the gun, $50 for Background check and $2.00 for a 20 oz bottled water.
I told them
1. You have a drinking fountain right over there.
2. Here's my CCW card which I got from the certification class I took through 702 The Range.
He said it's store policy to charge for the background check because they have a higher liability with the machine gun events they charge for.
I told him that's got nothing to do with me. I'm not doing anything related to your machine guns.
And besides, I took the CCW class at The Range702. Why would I pay you people to get my CCW card... and then pay you AGAIN for the background check even though I have a CCW?

I'm sorry sir. That's our policy.

So I canceled the sale and walked out.
Went home and bought and CPO Red Box Sig Sauer P365for $520 online.
And drank my own water.

They also changed the policy for firing range fees. Used to be $15 an hour. Now it's $15 for a HALF hour.
I was there with 2 other guys who wanted to share a lane.
The Range 702 charged me $15 And $10 to each for them... for one lane for a half an hour.

That was back in August. Haven't been back since.

SixshooterSam

Making Automobiles Great Again
I was going to buy a Springfield Armory Hellcat from The Range 702. They wanted $630 for the gun, $50 for Background check and $2.00 for a 20 oz bottled water.
I told them
1. You have a drinking fountain right over there.
2. Here's my CCW card which I got from the certification class I took through 702 The Range.
He said it's store policy to charge for the background check because they have a higher liability with the machine gun events they charge for.
I told him that's got nothing to do with me. I'm not doing anything related to your machine guns.
And besides, I took the CCW class at The Range702. Why would I pay you people to get my CCW card... and then pay you AGAIN for the background check even though I have a CCW?

I'm sorry sir. That's our policy.

So I canceled the sale and walked out.
Went home and bought and CPO Red Box Sig Sauer P365for $520 online.
And drank my own water.

They also changed the policy for firing range fees. Used to be $15 an hour. Now it's $15 for a HALF hour.
I was there with 2 other guys who wanted to share a lane.
The Range 702 charged me $15 And $10 to each for them... for one lane for a half an hour.

That was back in August. Haven't been back since.
That is insane. They don't deserve to be in business when they pull horse(crap) like that. I'm talking about forcing a $50 background check on a CCW holder, especially one who paid them for their class.

And that's on top of charging way too much for a (poop)ty gun.

It cost money to run a business. The owners trophy wife is very needy. Shoot in the desert.
Saw the area I used to go just north of Corn Creek now has concrete barricades with the words "NO SHOOTING" in big letters.

I know a car can hide in the valleys back there.
What happens if you drive past the barricades and they catch you shooting out there? Who enforces it? Is it Department of Forestry?

Hello. I’m new on this site. Just wanted to share some information. I recently purchased a new gun from Freedom Firearms. I have a CCW & they did not charge a background check fee or ask me to pay one. I also recently sold a gun & used them for the transfer. It was a $30 charge that the buyer paid. Even though he had a CCW, the law requires a background check for private party transfers. The transfer fee included the background check, nothing additional.