• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Gun stores doing backgrounds even with a ccw?!

So I ordered a frame a few months ago. Got in yesterday. Went to pick it up from the range 702 where I had it sent. They told me they were doing background checks on everyone even if you have a ccw. So i had to pay $50 for the transfer fee, another $25 for a background and now I have to wait god knows how many days to get the background done to pick up my frame
are there other shops doing this or am I just getting (fack)ed?

freedom firearms is doing the same thing, I don’t understand the purpose behind it when you have a CCW 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Retail sales - no background check

Private party transfers via FFL - Background check

If they are going background checks for non-private party sales they are not required to do so.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
First off, why the hell are you using a shop that charges $50 for a transfer fee!!!! That is absurd.

Second, I'd like to hear the reasoning as well. CCW should exempt you from a BGC on a NEW gun purchase. I purchased a gun not to long ago from Sportsmans and was not charged for BGC. Also picked up a new gun last month from NFT no BGC fee.

Was your frame NEW from a gun store elsewhere? Or was it modified first? Could be if it was stippled or something, it wouldn't be considered a new firearm?

I had no idea it was $50 for a transfer. I just went with it because it was near my work and easy to get to.
I bought that frame brand new from a dealer who did all the work to it and then sent it to me after. I paid $113 between taxes and the fees. It was pretty mind blowing. Maybe it’s considered a transfer because they charged me the transfer fee so maybe that’s why the background but they clearly told me even with a ccw theyre doing backgrounds.
I was told that because “California” had people stealing ccws or getting fake ccws and then buying guns and killing people? Not something I’ve ever heard of.
I’ve bought over 5 guns since I’ve had a ccw. Both in store and transferred and I have never ever had to do another background. Just fill in the paperwork and bounce out with my gun.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
If you do anything other than demand your money back, you are just enabling this bull(crap).
The real problem is sending a transfer to a store without checking their policies with them. The store had to log it in, and put it in the safe. If he now demands they send it to another store, he still owes them for that process, now twice, plus the shipping.

The real problem is sending a transfer to a store without checking their policies with them. The store had to log it in, and put it in the safe. If he now demands they send it to another store, he still owes them for that process, now twice, plus the shipping.
Ya I’m not doing that. I bit the bullet and paid but didn’t know if that was statewide thing that was happening now or what

rennD

Geissele Junkie
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I just got off the phone with Freedom Firearms. $30 Fee is what was said to me on the phone. Can anyone else that actually has done this at Freedom Firearms verify? They are one of the shops I frequent when I am in South West.

I just got off the phone with Freedom Firearms. $30 Fee is what was said to me on the phone. Can anyone else that actually has done this at Freedom Firearms verify? They are one of the shops I frequent when I am in South West.
They do charge 30$ but they also charge you even if you have a CCW

SixshooterSam

Making Automobiles Great Again
I would posit that, if they're going to enact a bull(crap) policy like requiring a background check even for someone with a CCW, they should absolutely make that clear to the customer first, as no one with a CCW would be expecting that. I'd say this would be on them.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Are you referring to having a firearm transferred through their store from out of state, or doing a private party transfer in their store? And to second JTW, Freedom Firearms are the awesome people way out on S Durango. I know nothing about the Freedom Munitions mentioned early in the thread.

They do charge 30$ but they also charge you even if you have a CCW
Can you verify which kind of transaction you are referencing? Is the $30 a transfer fee or a background check fee? They are separate. Different transactions can have either, and some might have both!

I would posit that, if they're going to enact a bull(crap) policy like requiring a background check even for someone with a CCW, they should absolutely make that clear to the customer first, as no one with a CCW would be expecting that. I'd say this would be on them.
I was under the impression it was transferred to their store without discussing it with them first. Some stores get put on lists of approved transfer stores for vendors, and no details are offered. Some may not realize how differently some stores treat these.

Now, don't get me wrong, this policy is WAY out of line. It's worth nothing that this is not a typical gun shop. It's a huge indoor range just off the Strip that caters to tourists, and probably gets most of its gun sales from first-time buyers.

Last edited: