Grizzly .300BLK ammo

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Beware of the bulk boxes of Grizzly 300BLK being sold at Sportsman's. I bought a box and they don't chamber. It appears they have not seated the bullet deep enough so the ogive is too high and jams in the rifling. It won't eject once that happens. I have contacted Grizzly's parent co on their website and have not yet received a response. I also informed an employee at Sportsman's about the issue.
This is a new AR pistol build. I have successfully fired Remington subsonic and Sig supersonic through this build, so it is not the gun.

Note; I am NOT trying to bash the mfg. or Sportsman's, just trying to alert the members of a goofup somewhere in the mfg process.

I am hopeful I'll get a satisfactory resolution from the mfg or Sportsman's (despite the no returns on ammo policy)

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
What's the distance to ogive? Every chamber is a little different and factory cheapo barrels may be cut long while match barrels are tighter.

Check that you're not the only one. Looks like they cut their brass on the high side.

http://www.scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159433
LOL. your link describes my problem to a tee. My upper is a new PSA 8.5" 300 AAC 1:8 7" Keymod Nitride Upper - with BCG and Charging Handle - 7779752

Here's a pic of the 3 ammo types referenced.
20160513_112148.jpg

The cartridge with the lead bullet is the one in question. closer inspection shows a ring on the bullet. If the bullet was seated to that mark, the round would work fine. I don't know if the ring is from the casting or if it is impressed by the crimping die. If I was set up with .300 dies, I'd press a couple to the mark and see if they work. Not sure if I could do it using a 9mm seating die.

As I say I have a message to the mfg from their web site app, but if I don;t hear from them by Monday afternoon, I'll give them a call.

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
LOL. your link describes my problem to a tee. My upper is a new PSA 8.5" 300 AAC 1:8 7" Keymod Nitride Upper - with BCG and Charging Handle - 7779752

Here's a pic of the 3 ammo types referenced.
View attachment 20023

The cartridge with the lead bullet is the one in question. closer inspection shows a ring on the bullet. If the bullet was seated to that mark, the round would work fine. I don't know if the ring is from the casting or if it is impressed by the crimping die. If I was set up with .300 dies, I'd press a couple to the mark and see if they work. Not sure if I could do it using a 9mm seating die.

As I say I have a message to the mfg from their web site app, but if I don;t hear from them by Monday afternoon, I'll give them a call.
What part of vegas are you in? I'm in sw and have blackout dies. I think I have a spare lee seating die if you want. Those cases look like they are crimped to high heaven though.

Also measure coal they should be around 1.9 to 2.0

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
What part of vegas are you in? I'm in sw and have blackout dies. I think I have a spare lee seating die if you want. Those cases look like they are crimped to high heaven though.

Also measure coal they should be around 1.9 to 2.0
COL is 1.96 to the top of the flatpoint.
Once I got some ammo that would chamber and compared to where the ogive tapers it was pretty obvious that the cylindrical part of the bullet was too long (I am theorizing due to insufficient seating depth) and the radiused part of the bullet was too high up on the cartridge so it jams into the rifling.
I am all the way up in the north end of town near the gun range. Not a big deal as I am going to get set up to reload .300 anyway, so this will just motivate me to get that going sooner rather than later. Thanks for the offer though. I have been meaning to get to that side of town for a powder run at Extreme so if I get my self in gear for that maybe I'll bring some of the cartridges along and we can get together.

I did notice that very heavy crimp too. Not sure what that's about and I am not sure how that will play into trying to seat them deeper. They are supposedly subsonic rounds so they may be relying on the heavy crimp rather than a proper powder charge to build up enough pressure to launch the thing! LOL

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
COL is 1.96 to the top of the flatpoint.
Once I got some ammo that would chamber and compared to where the ogive tapers it was pretty obvious that the cylindrical part of the bullet was too long (I am theorizing due to insufficient seating depth) and the radiused part of the bullet was too high up on the cartridge so it jams into the rifling.
I am all the way up in the north end of town near the gun range. Not a big deal as I am going to get set up to reload .300 anyway, so this will just motivate me to get that going sooner rather than later. Thanks for the offer though. I have been meaning to get to that side of town for a powder run at Extreme so if I get my self in gear for that maybe I'll bring some of the cartridges along and we can get together.

I did notice that very heavy crimp too. Not sure what that's about and I am not sure how that will play into trying to seat them deeper. They are supposedly subsonic rounds so they may be relying on the heavy crimp rather than a proper powder charge to build up enough pressure to launch the thing! LOL
Yea let me know. I also have a 300blk slotted Sheridan gauge. So if it's brass related it'll show in the gauge.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
So the conclusion of the story is....Sportsman's did the stand up thing and took the ammo back, despite their no return policy, after I explained the situation and did a show and tell with some Remington Subsonic cartridges. I had previously given one of the clerks a heads up on my issue and noted that the remaining stock of this ammo had disappeared(don't know whether someone bought it or they pulled it from the shelf). Kudos to Sportsman's.
The disappointing part of the story is that 3 attempts (web contact form and 2 calls to their listed number voicemail) to contact the mfg. re: the issue did not get any response.
Oh well, case closed.

I'm bring this back from the dead! I have never heard of this company till yesterday, I picked up a box of 556 at the Reno show. Labeled "Factory New". What a major letdown!!!
Would you guys shoot this dented and damaged ammo like this? Yes, the one in the middle is dented crosswise with another below it!
P7280553.JPG P7280554.JPG P7280555.JPG P7280556.JPG

I'm bring this back from the dead! I have never heard of this company till yesterday, I picked up a box of 556 at the Reno show. Labeled "Factory New". What a major letdown!!!
Would you guys shoot this dented and damaged ammo like this? Yes, the one in the middle is dented crosswise with another below it!
View attachment 47276 View attachment 47277 View attachment 47278 View attachment 47279
Have seen plenty of those in the military....failure to feed, dents caused by bolt strikes. We sent those back to the ASP for demil. What do the headstamps look like???.........FYI - I have fired several like your photos in my bolt gun, works fine and fire forms the brass

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
If they chamber fine I would probably shoot them. If bent badly then no and would not force in to chamber.
I would not reload them.