• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DPMS LR-308 help

Hello I just bought a DMPS LR-308 from someone local off GB. He had stated in the description he had feeding issues so I knew what I was getting into. I was hoping it would just be a magazine issue as he never tried anything but the magazines that came with it. Well after messing around with it believe I have a feed ramp issue...though I will try it with different magazines I have already ordered. My real question is who does the best AR work in Vegas who can solve my problem? I live in Pahrump and don't know how good the gunsmith here is. I got it at a really good price so it wont kill me if it costs me a couple hundred bucks to make it right.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Hello I just bought a DMPS LR-308 from someone local off GB. He had stated in the description he had feeding issues so I knew what I was getting into. I was hoping it would just be a magazine issue as he never tried anything but the magazines that came with it. Well after messing around with it believe I have a feed ramp issue...though I will try it with different magazines I have already ordered. My real question is who does the best AR work in Vegas who can solve my problem? I live in Pahrump and don't know how good the gunsmith here is. I got it at a really good price so it wont kill me if it costs me a couple hundred bucks to make it right.

Thank you for your help in advance!
I don't know what 'smith' we have here, but if you mean Master At Arms . . . stay away!

And I'm no expert, but it looks to me like it's got quite a few miles on it in the feed area.

Last edited:

Saber6

Do you have a dremel, if so I've smoothed up the feed ramp and barrel extension before using a dremel and a cone shaped bit. What buffer tube length, buffer weight, and spring is in it? What is the current mag you are trying?

It is a rifle length buffer am using DPMS 19 rounds magazines. I have 2 C Products 20 rounders on the way. I do have a dremel but I did a bit of file work on it and fed 11 rounds no stoppages hand cycling it on my bench

Feeding 8.jpeg

Feeding 9.jpeg

Saber6

Keep honing up the feed ramp and star chamber better. Double check the spring in it is a rifle length, a carbine length one could possibly to weak. Smooth up the feed lips on the metal mag, sometimes they can be a tad to ruff and produce to much drag on the round being stripped.

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Looks pretty bubba done dremeled it for sure. I’d be looking for a new barrel. Start fresh and you know the round count if your shooting for accuracy

Looking at the images again it does look as if the receiver and the barrel extension weren't nicely paired. I'd run the dremel on it to smooth the transition from the receiver to the extension. Years back you would get a rifle receiver and a barrel that had an m4 cut barrel extension, you'd just smooth out the receiver to match the barrel. It's not rocket surgery or brain science. If folks can by 80% parts and machine em out I don't see why we can't smooth out a feed ramp barrel issue to make it work.

OK so this is where I am I can hand cycle a full magazine except the first 2-3 rounds. I have ordered some dremel polsihing bits which should come tomorrow and I will polish the ramps good and my C products magazines should be here Thursday I am hoping between the 2 I should be good to go.

Feeding 10.JPG

usmcnye

Aim Small Miss Small
Try and find someone with build experience to look over your rifle. Does your bolt have wear and damage like your feed ramps on the barrel extension? Who built the upper receiver (business or individual)? This could be so many different things or combinations of. Proper barrel lock nut torque, misalignment / slippage of gas block, appropriate buffer and spring, worn gas rings, etc. The good news (or maybe bad news based upon your interpretation) is that your rifle can be brought back to accurate and reliable service; to do so may mean that a lot of your rifle rifle may become newer. I live in the Pahrump area; please feel free to private message me concerning your rifle if you want.

As far as I know it was built by DPMS. I did take the buffer spring out and it was orange which is designated as a extra power carbine buffer spring. Bolt looks pristine but the face of the buffer tube is gouged all to hell. Also releasing the bolt via the bolt latch is harder then hell have to push WAY harder to release the bolt then on my Colt Ar-15

Last edited: