• Las Vegas Shooting Center - Customer Appreciation Day 10/19/2019! - CLICK HERE for details!

DA/SA Full Size Recommendations?

vortex0178

uber schütze
I'm in the market for a full size DA/SA pistol. I want a DA/SA mainly for dry fire drills with my MantisX + laser cartridge for shooting multiple targets quickly, but I also plan to use it for Steel Challenge and maybe IDPA or USPSA.

So far I'm looking at the Beretta 92FS, the Beretta PX4 Storm, the Sig P226, and the FN FNX-9. Which of these gets your vote and why? Are there any other guns that aren't on my radar that you'd suggest? I'm staying away from CZs since I've owned them in the past and ended up selling them.

I'm staying away from CZs since I've owned them in the past and ended up selling them.
Any particular reason(s) you don't like about CZs? I was gonna recommend IMI/IWI Jerichos (baby eagles)..... I've owned a few and liked them, but they're very similar to CZs

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a full size DA/SA pistol. I want a DA/SA mainly for dry fire drills with my MantisX + laser cartridge for shooting multiple targets quickly, but I also plan to use it for Steel Challenge and maybe IDPA or USPSA.

So far I'm looking at the Beretta 92FS, the Beretta PX4 Storm, the Sig P226, and the FN FNX-9. Which of these gets your vote and why? Are there any other guns that aren't on my radar that you'd suggest? I'm staying away from CZs since I've owned them in the past and ended up selling them.
I have no experience with Beretta, but the P226 with an SRT Kit would be a good choice. I shot a buddy's CZ and the trigger does not compare. Maybe, a Cajonized CZ would be a better comparison. My FNX-45's trigger is nothing special, so I assuming the FNX-9 would be similar. Hope this helps.

vortex0178

uber schütze
My first gun was a 75B and I later bought a PCR but stopped shooting them after I got my PPQ, so I sold them. I was just so much better with the PPQ that the CZs rarely got used.

My brother has a CZ Shadow 2 so in theory I could use that, but since it's his gun I don't want to use it in competition. The DA pull on it is pretty good though and ideally I'd tune my gun to that weight, around 8 lbs.

nikk

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Oh, well... go for the Sig P226, of course. Classic. Iconic. There is none better.

No reason to look any further.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I’ve used both the 229 and the FNP9. Both work well. You could also go with an HK p7M8 if you want to be different.

vortex0178

uber schütze
I tried the trigger on a P226 MK25 and while the SA was good, the DA was still pretty heavy. Not unworkable but I'd probably still want to modify it. Is the Legion significantly better, DA wise? The aesthetic of the "bouncy" hammer also didn't appeal to me.

Of my initial choices I'm leaning heavily towards Beretta since the FNX-45 I tried had a pretty meh trigger and judging by the comments the FNX-9 will be similar.

The Beretta 92G Elite LTT I tried had an awesomely light DA pull and an excellent SA pull that was comparable to my PPQs. The Storm also fit my hand well and I dry-fired it well (based on MantisX ratings) though neither the DA or SA were as light as the Elite. I may end up buying a Storm or a 92A1 and adding the LTT Trigger Job in a Bag to get the pull where I want it; the other bells and whistles of the Elite aren't must haves for me but that trigger definitely is. Bonus in going with the 92 will be that mags should be dirt cheap and holsters readily available.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
If you like the PPQ you should be able to find a P99AS out there somewhere. That’s as close to a DA/SA you’ll get from Walther.

Last edited:

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
The 92 series is by far my favorite semi-auto handgun design. I currently own several 92 series pistols, compact and full size, 9mm and .40 S&W, and I've got my eyes on buying the 92X Performance which is a steel framed version. My only real complaint with the gun is that it isn't the best for small hands like my own. The P226 is even worse for my small hands. I prefer the CZ75 over the P226 because the CZ75 fits my hand pretty well whereas the P226 is just big around the grips.

The aftermarket helps rectify the long trigger reach of the 92 series. I was able to make the 92FS fit perfectly for my hand by using thinner Alumagrips and a Wilson Combat Short Reach trigger. I also added the Langdon Trigger Job in a Bag which greatly improved the trigger pull. I think adding a Barsto hand fitted barrel and an accurizing bushing sold by WAL over at berettaforum.net might be my next step in upgrading my 92FS. Not that the gun is not already on par with the accuracy of other guns sold, but like any other mass produced pistol it can use some improvement.

I don't have any experience with the PX4, but I have a lot with the 8000 Cougar series. The PX4 is the spiritual successor to the 8000, but polymer framed instead of aluminum framed. I prefer the 8000 Cougar series over the P226, CZ75, and others, but not over the 92. The 8000 Cougar has better trigger reach for me than the 92, and less recoil than the 92, but is more sensitive to cleaning and lacks the giant ejection port of the 92 which facilitates direct chamber loading.

The ability to easily direct chamber load the 92 is one of my favorite features of the design. In my opinion, almost all of the 9mm pistols on the market are good semi-auto pistols. But the 92 is not only a great semi-auto pistol, but also a great single shot pistol. Loading single shots in practically every other handgun made is relatively tedious by comparison.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
One other DA/SA pistol I've liked a lot is the S&W 3rd Generation semi-autos. I fired a 5906 TSW and it was pretty nice, and I own a 5903 which I definitely like better than the P226. Unfortunately, S&W discontinued their lineup of metal framed DA/SA pistols.

The suggestion of a P99AS had me calling gun stores but no luck. It did get me thinking about Canik and how many of their guns are Walther clones, and sure enough they have a P99AS-esque DA/SA striker gun called the TP9DA!

I found one locally and will check it out tomorrow, maybe pick it up depending on whether I can get them to match my online OTD price. I figure it's been collecting dust there as the TP9SF/SA/SFX and Elites are the more popular Canik models. The TP9DA trigger is supposedly around 8.5# DA and 5.5# SA, though with a $16 spring upgrade it can be tuned to 7# DA and 3.5# SA. Can't beat that!

The kicker is that I already have a bunch of TP9 18rd mags that I use as spares for my PPQs so I'll be covered on that end. I think the slides are similar enough that my holster will also work with the Canik, although it does come with it's own paddle holster as well.