Cerakote Questions **PICS ADDED**

My SIL has a S&W Airweight revolver J frame, Which has become corroded and pitted. Could this be sanded down or bead blasted smooth and Coated? Not sure if the cerakote would adhere to the alloy ? I will post some pics when I get a chance. I have already sent it to S&W and they could not or would not do anything.

Last edited:

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
You can Ceracoat a ham sandwich, when the surface is prepped correctly the stuff sticks to anything.

Yes, a properly trained tech can make it look new, in any color you want.

In Las Vegas, I'd contact Wild West Guns. They ain't cheap or fast, but perfect works for me.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
The sand blasting will remove the current finish and smooth it up a bit, but will not remove the pits. You could sand it down, but that would probably remove a lot of metal. There are products that can fill the pits.

Thanks for the reply's gents, As you can see the steel barrel and cylinder are fine. I believe she cleaned it with something that removed the protective coating then left it in a rug in her safe. I guess you could do a pinto with leaving the steel parts and just coat the frame.

Any ball park Idea's on cost? I know it would need to be inspected in person just looking for a rough estimate so I can ask if she wants to move forward.

My guess, since I had similar pistol done last year, $300 to $400 for a really professional job.
For that amount I would probably advise her to just purchase a new or used one in steel and this could be a truck gun or sell it as a parts gun for whatever she could get for it. Used J frames are pretty cheap.

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
For that amount I would probably advise her to just purchase a new or used one in steel and this could be a truck gun or sell it as a parts gun for whatever she could get for it. Used J frames are pretty cheap.
Mine was a hard to find SW 13-3 3in, absolutely trashed, but solid lockup and original numbered grips. First I went with a Cerakote for $100 and hated it, from a guy who no longer Cerakote's. Then I took it to WWG and they did a masterful job on the polish and re-blue. Just wow. We got to talking and they do Cerakote and charge extra for trashed guns they need hours of prep. I'm glad I bit the bullet, the gun is perfect.

LoadedChamber

Commercial Sponsor
I can Cerakote this and it will look great, the cost for single color is 180.00 I have a few pics of these guns I’ve coated on my Instagram and website. I actually carry a 637 that’s coated as well if you’d like to see how it would look.

Mine was a hard to find SW 13-3 3in, absolutely trashed, but solid lockup and original numbered grips. First I went with a Cerakote for $100 and hated it, from a guy who no longer Cerakote's. Then I took it to WWG and they did a masterful job on the polish and re-blue. Just wow. We got to talking and they do Cerakote and charge extra for trashed guns they need hours of prep. I'm glad I bit the bullet, the gun is perfect.
Ya a model 13 is a different kettle of fish especially a 3" I have a very nice 3" but still looking for a 3" P&R model. 13-2