• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Building a muffler

iav8524

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Hey y'all

Looking to build a suppressor for my 10.5" SBR. Would love some help if that's legal, obviously I will buy the materials, and have an approved form1 before starting.. Any vegas guys or gals have the knowhow, and wanna teach a noob?

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I've been interested in doing something along those lines as well. Just submitted a F1 for a .22 can, but that was cheap and easy. I'd think one for a 10.5 5.56 would be a lot more complicated.

iav8524

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I've been interested in doing something along those lines as well. Just submitted a F1 for a .22 can, but that was cheap and easy. I'd think one for a 10.5 5.56 would be a lot more complicated.
Wasn't really too hot on suppressing it, until I got asked not to shoot it at an indoor range... :)

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I need to read more about BYO for heavier duty cans. I'd have concerns about the longevity of the the blast/sacrificial baffle on a 10.5 direct thread 5.56 application. I am sure many have already had those same thoughts, and a solution.

iav8524

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Did a bunch of reading on form1builder, and am now more confused.. lol .. Friend's S/O is one of the smiths at one of the local machine gun ranges... gonna pick his brain at Xmas

if you're interested in building your own can, Recoil magazine issue #46 should still be on the newstands, it has an article about this exact subject also an interesting article on a $250 dollar AR-15 build, they purposely bought the cheapest worst parts they could to see if they could build one that would work for as little as possible... its a good read

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Solvent traps ..... Been around for years.
I have two waiting on me to do a form 1.
There are also aluminum 10.5" muzzle brakes that would just require a 1.375 x .125 aluminum tube over them to complete, then fixed into place
Both are available in 1/2 or 5/8 thread

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Many suppressor manufactures will not warranty their cans for a 10.5" bll. So that should tell you something . Consider your blast chamber will be abused by a 10.5", and build it to handle it.

For a 223/556 , I would suggest stainless or titanium tube.

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Many suppressor manufactures will not warranty their cans for a 10.5" bll. So that should tell you something . Consider your blast chamber will be abused by a 10.5", and build it to handle it.

For a 223/556 , I would suggest stainless or titanium tube.
These are made from titanium.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
My first form 1 was made with one of these. The outside diameter is just a bit smaller than a AR pistol buffer tube.
After I got my paperwork back.
We have a machine where I work that will symmetrically crunch the ends down to lock it into place. Of course I can't disassemble for cleaning. Works well for a 22lr, not gonna try it on anything else.

Screenshot_20200913-150752.png

Last edited: