• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Binary Triggers

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Unfortunately, if you're a trigger snob, there's no practical way to adjust out trigger over travel, as the over travel is necessary to reset the mechanism. That was a bit disappointing, as I like nice triggers.
Agreed. Of the two (BFSIII and Fostch Echo), the BFSIII has the better 'pull' (anecdotally, related to my preferences). The Fostech is mushy, squishy, and has quite a bit of travel before tripping the sear. I can definitely get better 'double taps' from the BFSIII than the Echo.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
That’s awesome Don, I apologize I steered you into the blue springco. You may not need it after all, unless you’re using a carbine receiver extension.
I discovered two buffer springs came with it. One spring was wound inside of the other looking like one spring at a close look. They have different strengths.

I have it together and cold tested for binary and semi, but I now am waiting for other stuff.

-Don- Reno

My friend built up a BF gen 1 trigger in 5.56, and 762x39 uppers in carbine configuration. It was hoot to shoot but not practical accuracy wise beyond 25 yards. 1st shot on target, 2nd wherever. Guess that can mitigated with muzzle brake/compensator and whole lot of ammo for practice. We tried the drop in CMMG 22lr kit and it didn't feed one round. Maybe dedicated 22lr upper would be better. Never really had issues with that setup, only out ran the trigger few times out case of rounds. Friend sold the lower.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I joined the Carson City range for $50.00 for two years. And today, I took my CMMG binary rifle there to waste some 5.7 ammo.

I also took my Thomson Contender to not waste so much ammo. At least the TC kinda forces me to take aim at a target, unlike the binary trigger that just asks for me to spray rounds down the range, no target necessary.

I think the single shot is just as fun as the binary trigger. I feel like the binary trigger is kinda like an expensive toy to use in 5.7, but I wanted to get it working and did. I now have the blue buffer spring in it. And I try to control the speed myself, which is still quite fast before it outruns the bolt, which I can still do if I really try to spray fast. But anyway, here is what it sounded like today.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
I joined the Carson City range for $50.00 for two years. And today, I took my CMMG binary rifle there to waste some 5.7 ammo.

I also took my Thomson Contender to not was so much ammo. At least the TC kinda forces me to take aim at a target, unlike the binary trigger that just asks for me to spray rounds down the range, no target necessary.

I think the single shot is just as fun as the binary trigger. I feel like the binary trigger is kinda like an expensive toy to use in 5.7, but I wanted to get it working and did. I now have the blue buffer spring in it. And I try to control the speed myself, which is still quite fast before it outruns the bolt, which I can still do if I really try to spray fast. But anyway, here is what it sounded like today.

-Don- Reno, NV
Wow that really cranks out some rounds. It works really,wow nice.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Wow that really cranks out some rounds. It works really,wow nice.
One nice thing about the small 5.7 round is that when firing very fast, it doesn't move the rifle around as much as a 5.56. It's very easy to control the 5.7 x 28 at a very fast rate of fire.

So I think the 5.7 was a good idea for my binary trigger.

Now that I have it working near perfect (I can still outrun the bolt if I try to), I probably won't use it much in the binary mode.

-Don- Reno, NV

bullseyeman

Obsessed Member
I use BFSIII and love it. I have found the best way to maximize rate of fire is to develop a cadence and NOT try to shoot as fast as you can. Let the trigger do the work. Easy to outrun the bolt on 5.56 if you don't. Much less a problem with .22lr. Had it installed by a gunsmith who fine-tuned it on the range for me.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Had it installed by a gunsmith who fine-tuned it on the range for me.
On a .223/5.56 AR-15? If so, how come you didn't do the work yourself? AR-15's are easy and there are many You-Tubes explaining how it is done, if you have never done one before. I have put enough of them together that I no longer look at the videos, but I did at first.

I find putting them together is a major part of the fun. I have put together several AR-15's over the years. The tools to get the job done are not expensive or anything and probably last forever.

-Don- Reno, NV

bullseyeman

Obsessed Member
On a .223/5.56 AR-15? If so, how come you didn't do the work yourself? AR-15's are easy and there are many You-Tubes explaining how it is done, if you have never done one before. I have put enough of them together that I no longer look at the videos, but I did at first.

I find putting them together is a major part of the fun. I have put together several AR-15's over the years. The tools to get the job done are not expensive or anything and probably last forever.

-Don- Reno, NV
Fun for you. Not for me. Zero interest.

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Don, I bought one of these a few years ago and continue to be impressed. I bought mine while I live in California so I ended up with 10 round magazines.
My son built a retro ar15 with M16 barrel and furniture with this kit as well for his son's birthday.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
About an hour ago, I received my .22LR conversion kit for my CMMG 5.7 rifle with the binary trigger. Takes all of around 15 seconds to do the conversion. Will be very easy to change from .22 LR to 5.7 and back in the field, as long as I bring both types of magazines, the other BCG and the other ammo.

I will head out for the CC range this Thursday and try my CMMG rifle on 22LR on both semi and binary and see what happens.

I hope they can also make such a kit for my CMMG MK5.7 Banshee pistol. The difference there is it is designed to use FN pistol mags. The CMMG upper works with a standard AR15 lower, with special mags for 5.7 & 22LR.

-Don- Reno

Last edited:

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Like WOW!!! Not what I expected. I expected there to be issues, but well, watch the video below. I mean listen to it.

It works BETTER as a .22LR than the 5.7MM and I didn't change anything. I cannot outrun the bolt when I try my very best to try to do such with the .22LR. I could outrun the bolt when I tried to do so with the 5.7.

Want to see how fast I can waste 22 LR rounds? Can you count these rounds? How many did I fire then? Was it a full 20 round mag? I thought it was. In fact, I didn't think it was really empty when it stopped firing, but it was. It didn't jam like I thought! I could not even make it jam!

Isn't this faster than a M-16 on full auto? Sure seems like it!

This thing is so fast with .22LR on binary, that it can be expensive to fire even with .22LR!

That was at the Carson City Range today. They closed it at 1400 hrs because of the smoke. AQI was 260. It was the worse I have seen anywhere, but it had no effect on me, fortunately. I could even smell the smoke today there at CC.

They said they didn't want to force their RSO's to be out in that smoke. And they can no longer keep the range open without a RSO. A couple of park employees (not RSOs) came in their pickup trucks to tell everybody the park is being closed right then.

At least I had the time to make a short recording / video.

-Don- Reno, NV

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
In other news, it looks like I somehow lost all three of my 25 round (I found out they are supposed to be 25 rounds, not 20 like I thought in the previous message) special magazines yesterday and I think they were all full with ammo. I am not sure how I lost them when they closed down the range, but I have looked everywhere possible today with no luck. Anyway, not a big deal. I just ordered four more at $25.00 each from CMMG. And it was just .22LR ammo, which I have a lot of.

I am wondering if I put them on my pickup truck bed cover and then drove off as I was doing other things to get out of there when the range was closed.

Or perhaps they fell from my portable table to the ground and I couldn't even see them in all the smoke there yesterday!

-Don- Reno

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
In other news, it looks like I somehow lost all three of my 25 round (I found out they are supposed to be 25 rounds, not 20 like I thought in the previous message) special magazines yesterday
That bites, Don. Sorry to hear that.

^Bummer, Don.

Several years ago I somehow managed to leave TWO of my nice Chinese flat-back AK mags out in the desert past Sloan.

Sometimes when you are having a good time, it's easy to drop stuff and leave it behind.