• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

AR Style 22Lr

Correct. The Colt/Umarex .22LR M16 is a specific gun I'm referring to. Has no relation to any Colt AR-15 except in name only. I don't believe any parts interchange, except maybe grips and the carry handle, possibly.

It's also not in the same class of build quality as classic colts are, but for what it is and what I paid for mine ($350 eleven years ago), it's a great .22LR rifle.
If I could find one for 350 I'd be happy as a clam.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Another option is to get a dedicated AR22 upper for your existing AR15.

Using one you'd just pull the existing upper, drop in the AR22 upper, and use either a CMMG-type AR22 mag, or M&P15-22 mags with a mag-well adapter. That said, the upper and mags would run you as much, or more than, a complete M&P15-22 :( Along those lines you could also assemble your own from a CMMG dedicated 22LR BCG and barrel, add your own upper, rail, ect. Still more pricey than a 15-22 however.

Here's a little 9" CMMG 22LR AR barrel and CMMG 22LR BCG assembled in an Aero M4E1 upper and Quantum rail (attached to a normal AR15 pistol lower):

AR22 with Axiom2.jpg

I think CMMG makes 4.5, 9, 16, and 20" dedicated AR22 barrels.

Another option is to get a dedicated AR22 upper for your existing AR15.

Using one you'd just pull the existing upper, drop in the AR22 upper, and use either a CMMG-type AR22 mag, or M&P15-22 mags with a mag-well adapter. That said, the upper and mags would run you as much, or more than, a complete M&P15-22 :( Along those lines you could also assemble your own from a CMMG dedicated 22LR BCG and barrel, add your own upper, rail, ect. Still more pricey than a 15-22 however.

Here's a little 9" CMMG 22LR AR barrel and CMMG 22LR BCG assembled in an Aero M4E1 upper and Quantum rail (attached to a normal AR15 pistol lower):

View attachment 65775

I think CMMG makes 4.5, 9, 16, and 20" dedicated AR22 barrels.
I like the cmmg stuff, but like you said it's a little pricey. I like the idea of a dedicated ar build for a 22lr, but for 3-400 an m&p 22lr that will last through all my minions I think is the way to go.

Ps- that pistol is nice! What sight is that?

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Ps- that pistol is nice! What sight is that?
The RDS is a Vortex Strikefire mounted in an Aimpoint QRP2 mount. My Aimpoint PROs that came with that mount were pulled and mounted in BoBro QD mounts so I had a few QPR2 mounts just sitting about.

Irons are Yankee Hill Machine QDS.

Built as an 'inexpensive' trainer for a 300BLK 2-stamp build so my boys could get use to the ergonomics of the build without bankrupting me on 300BLK subsonic ammo :)

Last edited:
The RDS is a Vortex Strikefire mounted in an Aimpoint QRP2 mount. My Aimpoint PROs that came with that mount were pulled and mounted in BoBro QD mounts so I had a few QPR2 mounts just sitting about.

Irons are Yankee Hill Machine QDS.

Built as an 'inexpensive' trainer for a 300BLK 2-stamp build so my boys could get use to the ergonomics of the build without bankrupting me on 300BLK subsonic ammo :)
Yea ammo is stupid expensive right now. I need more 223 so I can sight in my new scopes.

Update. I was chatting with a buddy who I go shooting with and to school with. Told him I was looking for an M&P 15-22 or similar and he said he'd be willing to sell me his for 300 since he never uses it. We were at school when he said it, hopefully he really will sell it to me! Im keeping my eyes open on here, armslist and box stores to see if any others pop up in stock.

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
You shouldn't shoot .22lr out of a AR barrel with a 1 in 9" or faster barrel, it over stabilizes the bullet, .22lr's usually have a 1 in 16" twist.
I am going to build a 8" .22lr AR pistol with a screw in plug for the buffer tube because you don't need it with the CMMG .22 conversion kit, I am going to buy one of CMMG barrels with the collar to replace the part on the conversion BCG that looks like a .223/5.56 case, I already have 5 Blackdog mags. Some body makes a BT plug that has a short Picatinny rail on it that you can attach a brace to but I cant remember who makes it. I am going to have search for it.