• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

AR Style 22Lr

I used to have a M&P 15-22 but got rid of it before dental school. Now I'm in search of another or one like it as there are more companies making them.

Any input on which AR Style 22LR I should be looking at for my 7yr old? M&P 15-22 is tried and true, but I've seen Colt now makes one, Ruger Tactical, H&K etc. I know CMMG makes a complete 22lr and a bcg to convert my Ars into one but 250 for the bcg or 1k for the rifle (ar build money). I may as well buy a dedicated 22lr for my son and daughter.

Thanks,
Justin

2GoneDE

Zookeeper
Forum Supporter
Buy a "real" 5.56 AR and get the CMMG conversion kit to shoot 22 LR (multi-role)...or get a 10/22. IMO You can still get a 10/22 cheap with tons of accessories...only 22 you will ever need. I have 4 22's and I am always tinkering with my 2 10/22's. So many aftermarket parts.

Buy a "real" 5.56 AR and get the CMMG conversion kit to shoot 22 LR (multi-role)...or get a 10/22. IMO You can still get a 10/22 cheap with tons of accessories...only 22 you will ever need. I have 4 22's and I am always tinkering with my 2 10/22's. So many aftermarket parts.
I have a "real AR" lol. You mean get a Ruger 10/22? 22LR ammo is stupid cheap, all my kids can learn to shoot on it and the tactical/ "AR look alikes" are only roughly 3-400. Another AR build to convert to 22LR would be 2-4x as expensive.

I still have a m&p 15-22 I bought back in 2013. Mine was one of the recall models, and I had an out of battery detonation with it. After warranty repaired it, I've shot thousands of rounds with no issues. In fact this year, it seems to be all I'm shooting.

I don't think you can go wrong just getting another tried and true.

I still have a m&p 15-22 I bought back in 2013. Mine was one of the recall models, and I had an out of battery detonation with it. After warranty repaired it, I've shot thousands of rounds with no issues. In fact this year, it seems to be all I'm shooting.

I don't think you can go wrong just getting another tried and true.
Kind of what I was thinking.

2GoneDE

Zookeeper
Forum Supporter
I have a "real AR" lol. You mean get a Ruger 10/22? 22LR ammo is stupid cheap, all my kids can learn to shoot on it and the tactical/ "AR look alikes" are only roughly 3-400. Another AR build to convert to 22LR would be 2-4x as expensive.
Is there another 10/22? It is ubiquitous...and commonly referred to as such. I would take a 10/22 over any other semiauto 22 LR for function, reliability, and availability of parts. If you want something that looks like an AR cool...carry on. My kids each have their own 10/22's and I RARELY convert any of mine (but I have the means) so I understand not wanting to convert your 5.56 to 22 LR. 22 LR is inherently dirty.

LVTrenton

Living the dream
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
+1 for the 10/22 to train kids. As noted, it can be dressed up to look tactical, but most young 'uns don't care about that. Add a set of tech-sights and sling swivels, and the 10/22 becomes a serious training rifle. You are welcome to join us for the Rimfire League when it starts up again in the fall - I shoot it every session, and safe junior shooters are MOST welcome! https://gun.deals/product/ruger-1022-22lr-carbine-autoloading-rifle-19999-shipped
1594565055127.png

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
I have an M&P 15-22 which is reliable and shoots well, but I prefer my Colt/Umarex .22LR M16.. the majority that I have seen for sale are 16" M4 variants, but I have a 20" barrel and absolutely love it. Rock solid reliable, SUPER accurate, and it is true A2 style, not all tactical and stupid like most ARs you see today. I've never owned a 10/22 and honestly don't understand why everyone loves them so much. To me they're like Fram filters - popular because of advertising and name recognition, but cheap and not the best product available on the market. Out of the box they're not that great, and if you're going to spend money replacing parts all the time, why not just buy a better rifle to start with? Kind of like trying to make a Corolla fast instead of just buying a Corvette. But that's just my opinion, I know most people disagree with me.

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Just my opinion. 7yo? 22 single shot bolt with iron sights. one shot, one hit. IMO, fundamentals are easier to teach. Kids like their rifles like their video games. Spray, and pray. Chipmunk style rifles are cheap, and a good starter rifle.

Is there another 10/22? It is ubiquitous...and commonly referred to as such. I would take a 10/22 over any other semiauto 22 LR for function, reliability, and availability of parts. If you want something that looks like an AR cool...carry on. My kids each have their own 10/22's and I RARELY convert any of mine (but I have the means) so I understand not wanting to convert your 5.56 to 22 LR. 22 LR is inherently dirty.
I was just making sure we were talking about the same gun.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Just my opinion. 7yo? 22 single shot bolt with iron sights. one shot, one hit. IMO, fundamentals are easier to teach. Kids like their rifles like their video games. Spray, and pray. Chipmunk style rifles are cheap, and a good starter rifle.
Meh , that depends on how you teach them , all 3 of my sons started at age 5 , with 10/22's. It wasn't until they hit their teens that they wanted bolt actions too. I wish their were more AR options with collapsible stocks for them back then.

I have an M&P 15-22 which is reliable and shoots well, but I prefer my Colt/Umarex .22LR M16.. the majority that I have seen for sale are 16" M4 variants, but I have a 20" barrel and absolutely love it. Rock solid reliable, SUPER accurate, and it is true A2 style, not all tactical and stupid like most ARs you see today. I've never owned a 10/22 and honestly don't understand why everyone loves them so much. To me they're like Fram filters - popular because of advertising and name recognition, but cheap and not the best product available on the market. Out of the box they're not that great, and if you're going to spend money replacing parts all the time, why not just buy a better rifle to start with? Kind of like trying to make a Corolla fast instead of just buying a Corvette. But that's just my opinion, I know most people disagree with me.
I like Colts, they are harder to find but have seen nothing but great reviews on them. I make that civic vs corvette analogy all the time in dental school so its funny to see it used in here.

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
Keep in mind , the Colt 22 AR was not made by Colt. It is made by Walther if I remember correctly.
Correct. The Colt/Umarex .22LR M16 is a specific gun I'm referring to. Has no relation to any Colt AR-15 except in name only. I don't believe any parts interchange, except maybe grips and the carry handle, possibly.

It's also not in the same class of build quality as classic colts are, but for what it is and what I paid for mine ($350 eleven years ago), it's a great .22LR rifle.