• Las Vegas Shooting Center - Customer Appreciation Day 10/19/2019! - CLICK HERE for details!

7mm RM loading for long range issues

1browski

Very Active Member
I havent been on in a long while. Still swaging bullets once in a while and reloading. I got a rem 700 LR with 26 inch barrel a couple years back and started out with Berger 168g bullets, h1000, and hornady brass. Never tries hornady brass before and was far from impressed. They were rough to say the least and needed cleaning up with a chamfer tool. I like lapua brass but dont understand why they dont make 7mm RM. I started with ladder test and then after burning through 100 bullets and still not dialed in. I then worked out of town couple years and finally got back around to this rifle. I am sticking with the h1000 for now and same brass but have moved on to 162g eld-m bullets. I loaded four 3 round groups to start a 67g, 68g, 69g, and 70g and went to shoot a month ago. My bros chrono didnt work. Kept throwing err every time. I shot them for the hell of anyway. Now have a new magneto chrono and love it. Loaded 4 more batches yesterday at 67.5g, 68.5g, 69.5g, and 70.5g. I shot these at 200yd this morning and chrono worked perfect. Velocities were a lot higher than expected. 67.5g(2999, 3038, 3059) then 68.5g(3070, 3070, 3079) then 69.5g(3106, 3089, 3102) and finally 70.5g(3130, 3174, 3112). On the 70.5g loads, I could feel a difference in the bolt extraction. Im going to call that the absolute top end and dont plan on getting close to it again.
The only reason I started out this way was because I thought I had some decent data from the bergers with similar but not the same weight. I didnt have this much of a problem with 308s we were shooting out past 800yds. Where should I really start at. These latest rounds were loaded to factory length. They were also neck sized and trimmed. Thx for any help

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
I have the same rifle and load Hornady brass with H1000, CCI BR primers and the 162gr ELD-M's. I settled on two loads at 66gr and 68gr, both of which give me very similar accuracy. Velocity is just over 3000 and close to 3100 respectively. I shoot the higher charge weight in the cooler months. The good days are in the high .4's and the bad days are in the .7 and .8 MOA range. I am loading to .010 from the ogive and they load nicely from the Magpul AICS mag. I consistently surprised by the accuracy of this rifle and load combination given it's a stock rifle made by a Remington that supposedly has piss poor QC.

Running 175eldx in my Savage 110. 62.8/ 7828 SSC @ 2.658 to ogive getting 2910 fps & less than .7 @600 Yards. 26" X caliber barrel RP brass CCI LRM primers

BW

1browski

Very Active Member
Looking back on my berger bullet data, I think my lower velocity issues were just a bad chrono. 4x4brit, your velocities seem pretty close to what I am getting from this combination. I think I will drop lower and work back up. Right now I am not looking to achieve a minimum velocity, just good accuracy. First, I am going to load 10 at 67.5g and dial the scope in to it. I have an antelope hunt I wanted to use this on this year. Then when that hunt is over I will get back to this reloading with charges from 66g -68.5g which topped out at 3073 avg. As far as OAL, using the berger 168s, .020 and .030 off the lands is where I was getting best accuracy. So, maybe just start at .020 until it is time to start moving in and out.
BW64, I have used the 178 eldx in 30 cal for hunting. I do like hornady bullets. I used them in .308 on an antelope first, it was too much bullet but I was waiting to try them. Lost some shoulder meat in the process but it was a pretty close shot. Also, last year on a deer, it knocks them down hard. My brother uses the 7828 sc powder with the 162 eldm. Have you ever tried the eldm bullets vs the eldx. I have never compared them against each other.
Do the two of you have muzzle brakes on the rifles. I had that done before trying it out after trying a friends 7 with a brake on it. Thank you for your help.

Yep muzzle brake on mine. The eldm is made for target shooting, Saw a lot of bad reviews on other forums about them passing through & not having the knock down effect. The partitions are a good choice for shorter distances but my rifle didn't like them. The ABLD is also a good choice.

BW

1browski

Very Active Member
Last night I loaded up 10 rds for the hunt. I ended up loading to 67g h1000 @ 3.29 OAL. This morning I made a windage adjustment and fired one. I thought I needed a good bump over which turned out to not be the case, so I put it back where it was. Then 3 shot group that wasnt very impressive. Just crappy shooting. Then clicked 2 right and fired 2 more and the scope was dialed right in. Today I just shot @100yds to zero out. The last 2 shots were touching on the target but I wanted to save at least 4 for the hunt, so I stopped there. I didnt chrono these either but they are probably right under 3000fps. Hopefully next week get started on the load development.

1browski

Very Active Member
Those eldm projectiles were just fine on that poor ole antelope. I wouldnt normally use non-hunting bullets but I had to try them out. Left the house at about 1:30am yesterday and was back to the house by around 2:30 pm. A quick trip. Now I will get back to dialing in the 7.