• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

1500 Meter Ranges?

Hello everyone. New guy here with my first post - hoping someone can help me out.

My wife has a client that wants to relocate to the Vegas area. One of the "must haves" for him is a place where he can shoot out to 1500 meters. I looked around but didn't see anything with information about a range or area where I could refer him to. Does anyone have information on a place near here where he can shoot safely and legally that far out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
The local ranges get to roughly 1k yards.

An hour or two drive outside of town and you can shoot as far as your budget and equipment will allow.
Yeah, when you're shooting those kind of distances, just take a trip out into the desert, do whatever you want. No shortage of open desert in this state.

Thank you for the responses. He and I both looked at the ranges and didn't see what he was looking for. As for the dessert, I get that. Was just wondering if anyone already identified a safe and legal spot that was used by others. I read about "Sloan" and "Hubcap" and was wondering if there was something like that. He is still looking into the "dessert" option and we are trying to understand the shoot areas vs the no shooting areas. Looking at an overhead map helps but not knowing the ease of accessibility of those areas makes it difficult.

Thanks everyone. And, thank you to whoever moved my post to the proper place. Being the FNG, I wasn't sure where to start.

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
Legality is fairly straightforward. If you're on BLM land, far enough from occupied dwellings and roads, and there are no specific restrictions put in place by the county or otherwise, you're legal to shoot. Odds are, if you're in open desert far away from anyone or anything, you're good to go.

I'm not familiar with the Vegas area at all so I have no idea how far out of town you have to go, but I'm assuming it's similar to the Reno area where you don't have to go all that far out of town to be in the middle of nowhere.

A good rule of thumb that I use is making sure that I'm far enough away from anybody and anything that I could fire a shot in any direction, at any angle, any caliber, and not have to worry about hitting anything. Obviously there can be other people in the desert shooting or otherwise recreating as well, so be mindful of that. A little common sense goes a long way. I try to pick spots where I can see everything between me and my target clearly, and either shoot into a hillside or large berm, or be able to see far past my target to make sure the direction I'm shooting is clear.

If you take a bit of a drive out into the open desert, you'll see that all of that is not difficult to accomplish at all. Explore around, find the best spots and store those locations in your phone so you can find them again easily. The best spots will be the ones you find on your own, not the ones people tell you about, because right off the bat you know other people might be there. I prefer to have the desert to myself when I venture out.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Legality is fairly straightforward. If you're on BLM land, far enough from occupied dwellings and roads, and there are no specific restrictions put in place by the county or otherwise, you're legal to shoot. Odds are, if you're in open desert far away from anyone or anything, you're good to go.
The problem down here is depending on the trail you want to head out on you may often encounter those 'no off highway travel' signs. They do get enforced (ask me how I know). So while you should be able to get out the the appropriate distance, in some areas, they've cock blocked you with those 'no off highway travel' signs.

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
The problem down here is depending on the trail you want to head out on you may often encounter those 'no off highway travel' signs. They do get enforced (ask me how I know). So while you should be able to get out the the appropriate distance, in some areas, they've cock blocked you with those 'no off highway travel' signs.
Is that a southern Nevada thing? I've never seen them up here.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Is that a southern Nevada thing? I've never seen them up here.
Not sure. I see them dotted here and there at the entrances to various dirt roads. The few persons I've had 'interaction with' regarding my disregard have been federal.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Interesting. Is that near a protected facility or anything like that?
Usually done for "areas of concern" or where they have found the wildlife/habitat to be in danger from humans/vehicles. Less common as you go further north as there are less people "damaging" those areas.