• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Scope options question for hunting rifle

For those who watch the Nevada Shooter facebook page, if this shows up sometime after I post this, ignore it. It's been pending for 4 days now, and I don't feel like waiting any longer for it to be approved there, lol... so here it is below :

Hey all looking for some advice for scope ring for a rifle. My friend has a rifle that he used to hunt with, and where he lived(Alabama), he literally can get in a tree stand at his house, and get clear shots at whitetail every year within around 50 yards. Easy peazy right? His rifle is a 30-06, and it has a scope that we plan on changing out with my much better glass.
I plan on setting up his rifle with my Vortex Viper PST II 5-25x. His scope rings for his scope are 25mm, so I need to get 30mm rings for it. His rings are screwed directly onto the rifle, and is obviously too high to view with a cheek weld. I am wondering what rings I could get for his rifle to fit my vortex, and be lower so I can see thru the scope with a cheek weld. Do I need to get a rail+rings? If I can get away with rings that will screw right in, that would be great. if I need to get a rail, I want to just use 30mm rings that I already have, except I think they may be a bit high. I'll attach a picture of rifle with his scope, and mine by it for reference. His rifle is an old Remington wingmaster from the 70s lol. I also have a feeling that lowering the scope will cause my vortex to run into the irons.
of course this is all for naught this year if neither of us get a tag, but I am just trying to figure out what I need to do in case we get one, and looking for options.

thanks!

nate 30-06.jpg

My friend has a rifle that he used to hunt with, and where he lived(Alabama), he literally can get in a tree stand at his house, and get clear shots at whitetail every year within around 50 yards.

I plan on setting up his rifle with my Vortex Viper PST II 5-25x.

Vortex is quality glass, the Viper line is my favorite, not crazy expensive like Razor, but outstanding optical clarity at long ranges.

Thats a super nice scope you have - but for the uses that you have detailed, i.e. - shooting deer from inside 50 yards, don't you think it's a bit of overkill?

or is it your rifle now? and what type of shooting are you planning to use it for?

Oops, yes our goal is to try for a mule deer tag out here near reno. I'm told you need to reach out a few hundred yards(hoping can get out in the range of 200-300yd due to the nature of mule deer and our terrain.) I am just starting to learn, practice precision shooting in longer ranges and doing pretty good so far.

I agree, I chose the Vortex PST based off if it's value, and not wanting to spend more than a grand on a scope. It'll suit me well also when I want to go much further out.

Last edited:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
First, you don't NEED to change that scope unless you really want to. To use it best, though, put a cheek riser on your stock (even if you wrap tape around a piece of pipe insulation) so that you get a comfortable, fast, and proper cheek weld that puts your eye through the scope naturally.

I've never seen the words "Wingmaster" on the rifle before, but "Gamemaster" was part of that lineup. So that's interesting. Assuming it's the pump-action .30-06, you can get the old school two-piece Weaver style bases, or here is the modern Picatinny rail: https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...-740-760-ithaca-37-scope-bases-prod87790.aspx

Last edited:
Awesome. I do like the idea of DIY cheek riser for the wood stock! I have a pool noodle I cut up for random other uses, might try that first. It's actually a semi auto.i thought wingnaster was a shotgun only name myself before I saw this rifle. Thanks for the link, I'll probably get one of those rails.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
First, you don't NEED to change that scope unless you really want to. To use it best, though, put a cheek riser on your stock (even if you wrap tape around a piece of pipe insulation) so that you get a comfortable, fast, and proper cheek weld that puts your eye through the scope naturally.

I've never seen the words "Wingmaster" on the rifle before, but "Gamemaster" was part of that lineup. So that's interesting. Assuming it's the pump-action .30-06, you can get the old school two-piece Weaver style bases, or here is the modern Picatinny rail: https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...-740-760-ithaca-37-scope-bases-prod87790.aspx
742 Woodsmaster...just like an 1100

I would just leave that 3x9 with it's see-through mount/rings on it if the scope has proven reliable, myself....for a few reasons. Weight, size, tactical turrets, adjustable objective, pool noodles....all things not great on a hunting rifle, imo
A set-up for a sling is what I would be working on

Last edited:
Those see through scope rings are good, for some circumstances.

I have that same model rifle. Decent, but it gets finicky with ammo. Also, if you go for a standard mount, you may need to look at the sights and decide if they stay or go. I had to yank the rear sight on a .270, due to the size of the scope I picked.

My opinion.
If the scope allows you to see well at sunset -30 or dawn +30 I would not change it.
I hope you can get within 200 yards on mulies.

I hunt with a 1960s sporterized Springfield 1903A3 in Remington 280. The fixed 4 power Burris bullet drop comp scope is wonderful. We hunt in Montana on ranches and State/NF land and the mule deer are never more than 120 or 150 yards out. The elk are normally 500 yards away unless you can surprise one.

When I changed out to a 3 to 9 moderate priced "modern scope" it is much harder to see and find deer as they hide. It was OK at the range in bright sunlight for 300 or maybe 400 yards for bullseyes but not hunting at dawn. my 2cents
Have fun.

If I can get within 150yd, with my eyes I can definitely make a solid shot with the 3-9x or my othe scope I love, my PA, I think 2-14x scope with FFP. I hear a lot about mile deer out here, with open land being difficult to get within 200-300yd+ and for me that stretches my limits on the 14x. I'll try out the scope at dawn and dusk and see how it looks. It also has an illuminated reticle that is nice

Maybe the deer are more skittish with the hunting pressure in parts (all?) of Nevada, I do not know.

Yes testing prior to the filed is much smarter. I failed that on my last hunt.

I do believe that hunting shots are not the same as long range shooting at the range. We are really looking for a 18 inch square (deer chest) not a 2 inch bull. Too much scope seems to make it harder to scan for targets and to scan a small herd for the best deer. It is a difference between field of view or magnification.

Best of luck in you hunt.

Elk, BH Sheep, Mt Goats, enemy snipers bring the magnification. :)